Page 48 of 57 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: The Islamic State

Site Supporter
    It appears someone knows just how to deal with ISIS, or at the very least understands The nature of who they are dealing with.

Jordan to ISIS: "kill our pilot and will execute ALL your prisoners"

http://www.special-ops.org/kill-pilo...soners-jordan/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It appears someone knows just how to deal with ISIS, or at the very least understands The nature of who they are dealing with.

Jordan to ISIS: "kill our pilot and will execute ALL your prisoners"

http://www.special-ops.org/kill-pilo...soners-jordan/
    Well played.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

It appears IS has killed the Jordanian pilot. If beheading wasnt bad enough, they burned him alive in a cage.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-31121160

Elsewhere, it seems the IS is losing ground in several places with some losses of fighters.

Helluva thing, training one's sons to get right with dying fighting but never be taken alive.

I do hope that the Jordanians are as good as their word.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    I do hope that the Jordanians are as good as their word.
    Some papers were reporting that Jordanian public opinion was against Jordan fighting against IS, but perhaps this atrocity will turn things around. Heck, maybe it will even get the administration to admit that burning captives alive is worse than sending them to Gitmo.

Looks like its ramping up.

http://news.yahoo.com/jordan-execute...191536008.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Some papers were reporting that Jordanian public opinion was against Jordan fighting against IS, but perhaps this atrocity will turn things around. Heck, maybe it will even get the administration to admit that burning captives alive is worse than sending them to Gitmo.

I had seen some discussion about the Jordanian people not wnting to be involved, and them calling it a war with the West and between Islam and the West. I havent quite figured out that leap of logic. IS sweeps into Muslim areas, slaughters other Islamic people wholesale, and somehow if anyone is upset about it, its a war between Islam and the West. Right.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I had seen some discussion about the Jordanian people not wnting to be involved, and them calling it a war with the West and between Islam and the West. I havent quite figured out that leap of logic. IS sweeps into Muslim areas, slaughters other Islamic people wholesale, and somehow if anyone is upset about it, its a war between Islam and the West. Right.
    Everyone's afraid of the bully in their back yard.
    Better to blame it on the Evil Satan across the ocean, the one that at least tries to avoid collateral damage.

If I'm a Jordanian.... Who do I see as taking a leadership role? IS.
    Does anyone think a Jordanian should view the US as a long term ally in the struggle against IS? Short term ally?
    Can the Jordanian government withstand the onslaught? Can they provide the funding and manpower to defeat Iran-backed Wahabbists?
    So... who can blame them for their reluctance to wade in in the absence of any clear solution?
    "Stayin Alive"
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Everyone's afraid of the bully in their back yard.
    Better to blame it on the Evil Satan across the ocean, the one that at least tries to avoid collateral damage.

If I'm a Jordanian.... Who do I see as taking a leadership role? IS.
    Does anyone think a Jordanian should view the US as a long term ally in the struggle against IS? Short term ally?
    Can the Jordanian government withstand the onslaught? Can they provide the funding and manpower to defeat Iran-backed Wahabbists?
    So... who can blame them for their reluctance to wade in in the absence of any clear solution?
    "Stayin Alive"
    I hate to sound pedantic, but Iran isn't supporting the Islamic State, nor do they have any love for the Saudis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    I hate to sound pedantic, but Iran isn't supporting the Islamic State, nor do they have any love for the Saudis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    There were some at least semi-credible reports about Iran providing at least limited support to AQI (IS's forerunner) against us at the same time AQI was slaughtering Iraqi Shiites. In addition, when IS was first consolidating power in Western Syria, it seemed to have a tacit non-aggression treaty with they Syrian government, which of course is backed by Iran.

Perhaps it was simply a case of corruption, or perhaps "the enemy of my enemy" stuff, but there is some reason to believe that the Iranians occasionally play footsie with the most fanatic of the Wahabbists, who of course they also detest.

The Middle East is a very bizarre place (though perhaps no more bizarre than the area inside the beltway).

User Tag List