Page 35 of 57 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: The Islamic State

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

The cynic in me says replace "Drugs" with "Terror"....

-Rob
    Your cynicism puts you in good company:

"Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary." H. L. Mencken circa 1918

Site Supporter
    Army chief: Division headquarters will deploy soon to Iraq
    I know little about such things so I'll ask...

What's the likelihood that a Division HQ goes to Iraq in support of only 1,600 troops?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

What's the likelihood that a Division HQ goes to Iraq in support of only 1,600 troops?
    It is an interesting development but I would not read too much into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    It is an interesting development but I would not read too much into it.
    Why?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Will the troops going be told to wear PT shoes in lieu of standard footwear, so there are no boots on the ground?

I am going to tread carefully so as not to get myself in trouble. Apologies up front if I am vague.

Here is a decent primer on the role of the Division Headquarters with the caveat that no two Division Commanders see things alike: http://usacac.army.mil/CAC2/Military...231_art007.pdf

The division brings coherence to tactical efforts: combined planning and operations across vast operational environments, interagency coordination, and commander and key leader engagements that shape the future operational environment for months and years.
    Per the article referenced, at present the JOC is commanded by the DCG ARCENT, likely with an adhoc staff manned by personnel from ARCENT/CENTCOM/whoever else. With the initiation of the air campaign, the complexity of the tasks is likely beginning to exceed the capability of the current staff and the higher headquarters are likely feeling the loss of the personnel they provided to man the adhoc staff. From that perspective sending a two-star commander with a cohesive, trained staff to perform the fucntions required makes sense.

That does not rule out the potential for additional ground troops to be deployed. I just do not see it as an indicator.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Why?
    The flip side of "advance deployment of infrastructure and leadership for a higher level deployment" is..... .
    The reality that the task is growing, even with sub-2K troops. Integrating more closely with Iraqi military (liaise, training, advise, share intel), training "Moderate Syrian Rebels ™"), coordination of coalition actions in Syria, etc. etc....

I asked because I could see both sides and was wondering whether it would be a stretch to move a D-HQ with so few ground troops involved.

ETA: ^^^ KevinB beat me to it while I was typing..
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Will the troops going be told to wear PT shoes in lieu of standard footwear, so there are no boots on the ground?
    Don't be silly. They will wear golf shoes.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Very likely. The Division HQs has all the staff sections to control the multiple small but specialized units, the Joint aspect (Air, Navy, etc), the coalition aspects, interact with NGOs (if any are left), interact with the US embassy, and - most importantly - has a 2 star commander and 2 one star assistant DIV CDRs plus multiple COLs to deal with the Iraqi command structure.

There appears to be five (5) Division HQs now committed (or being committed) - 2ID in South Korea, two DIV HQs in Afghanistan, plus one DIV HQs headed to the Ebola mission, plus one DIV HQs for this Iraq mission. There are 10 AC DIV HQs so 5 are now committed (or being committed) and 5 not committed.

Site Supporter
    And so it begins....

Woman beheaded at Oklahoma food distribution center

Nolen had recently been trying to convert coworkers to Islam, according to Moore Police

User Tag List