Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uptick in scam texting/calls?

Uptick in scam texting/calls?

Quick post to say that my cell has been getting more and more of these things. This morning’s was an automated message allegedly from my bank’s fraud dept, stating that they needed confirmation of suspicious charges on my card ending in (correct last 4 digits). A quick google of the originating/call back number revealed it to be a scam, and calling my bank’s listed number confirmed it. I’m getting a couple of texts or calls a month now it seems. And I only use my phone for texting family, friends and students—and emergency calls. No internet to speak of unless it’s getting directions or a forecast.

Posting both FYI, and RFI, just out of curiosity as to how widespread this stuff is around the country.

Have agreat weekend, folks.

I get my share of calls on my landline and mostly calls on the cell. Nothing gets answered unless I know who it is or am expecting such a contact.
    I ran out of call blocks on my landline but I just keep blocking 'em on my iPhone.

BTW, this is an excellent resource: 800Notes

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I have been plagued the last few months by Indians claiming to be from DELL support saying that they have been receiving unusual messages from my computer and that I need to allow them to regain remote access to my computer so they can correct the problem. The number they call from is the actual Dell tech support number that they "spoof". Apparently these scammers are former (or current) Dell tech support people who have gained access to customer databases.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I have been plagued the last few months by Indians claiming to be from DELL support saying that they have been receiving unusual messages from my computer and that I need to allow them to regain remote access to my computer so they can correct the problem. The number they call from is the actual Dell tech support number that they "spoof". Apparently these scammers are former (or current) Dell tech support people who have gained access to customer databases.
    If you get rid of your DELL, maybe you won't get as many calls from NEW DELLY (sic).

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

BTW, this is an excellent resource: 800Notes

^^^yup, that’s the first or second site that comes up when googling a scam number.

We gave up the landline some good number of years ago, and went all cell. This text/scam thing seems to be a recent phenomenon, first springing up a couple of years ago, and we’ve had the same cell numbers for something going on 20 years at this point. The disconcerting thing is that the scammershave the last 4 of a legit banks card. I dunno, suggests that it came from one of the (many) places that I do business with that confirms orders with a page that has both phones and the last 4, e.g. midway, et al.

Life in these modern times. Won’t stop me from getting out and putting a bit of absolut vodka in my orange julius and supporting the economy though.

Any other good persec tips from the counter-fraud squad?
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 10-07-2017 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Any other good persec tips from the counter-fraud squad?
    Check your financial accounts regularly...(credit cards, investments etc). Set up a user ID, account and password on your computer that is not used for anything other than for the purpose of connecting with those sites. Delete all history (and cookies if you desire) once you are finished and log out completely. (Goes without saying that complex passwords should be used and never duplicated from one site to another.)

This gives you the peace of mind of knowing that none of your accounts have been accessed or utilized in a fraudulent manner and only takes a few minutes.

Keep the account isolated from your other day to day activities and don't use browser extensions and add-ons except for a secure password manager.

I have found this to be a good practice and hopefully some others can profit from its use if they don't already do so.
    Last edited by blues; 10-07-2017 at 12:31 PM.

I don't have texting (shocking I know) and have an old school, candy bar style phone. I have been getting calls that closely resemble my cell phone number lately (they are hoping I answer it). I generally only answer numbers I know, unless I have ordered something or am expecting a call. Often, it will go to voicemail, simply because I am AT WORK (emergencies know to call THAT number), and my phone isn't on me. (too many assholes on THEIR phones at work causing me to have to work OT, because of jobs not getting done, during business hours)

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    If you get rid of your DELL, maybe you won't get as many calls from NEW DELLY (sic).
    I think they are in Bangalore...... I asked them if they still make torepedo's there - they usually hang up.

the local area code and exchange bit has been going on for quite a while. it's really obnoxious. I wound up chewing out some supposed PBA person the other night; calling me at 9:30PM and waking my kid up with the ring. I say supposed as not one that's ever called has turned out to be a group I'd want to give money to; I donate to the PBA my town PD says does the most good.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I get about one a day on my cell. Usually "from" my exchange I.e. 123-456-xxxx. I add em to my block contact (either SPAM or SPAM-123).

I had one voice message; it seems an actual guy in Orlando received calls from 'my' number and gave me an earful.

I briefly toyed with the idea of calling him back to explain, but decided he probably would not appreciate the irony.

User Tag List