Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: The Islamic State

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    There were no shortage of Americans fighting in the Republican Forces in Spain in the Thirties. They made up most of a battalion. I'm not certain that they were, as Jeep phrased it, "simply part of the huge number of alienated young men who don't fit in a regimented, feminized modern welfare state."
    Well, to be fair, we weren't a modern welfare state in the 1930's. Most who served in the "Abraham Lincoln Battalion" were either communists or leftists of other stripes (it was organized by communists on directions from the COMINTERN). But, anecdotal evidence indicates that some battalion members were bored young men who didn't have a political thought in their heads who were looking for adventure and didn't head for the French Foreign Legion for some reason or the other.

As for today, I very much stand by my statement that there are a lot of alienated young men who don't fit into our regimented, feminized, modern welfare state. The one-size-fits-all society that Washington is increasingly prescribing is causing a lot of casualties, albeit generally ones from strata of society with whom our masters in DC don't much interact. A few of them are heading for Syria.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Never mind. Switching to decaf.
    Last edited by Tamara; 08-28-2014 at 01:18 PM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Brilliant.

President Obama said Thursday he doesn’t have a strategy yet for defeating Islamist militants in Syria.

“I don’t want to put the cart before the horse,” Mr. Obama said in a news conference at the White House. “We don’t have a strategy yet. As our strategy develops, we will consult with Congress.”

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    I'm not sure that it would comply with the laws of war, but if we really wanted to undermine the IS, perhaps our strategy should be exporting Obamacare to them.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Czechs donate ammunition to Iraqi Kurds.

http://www.janes.com/article/42443/c...to-iraqi-kurds
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred's Link
    The Ministry of Defence (MoD) will donate 10 million 7.62x39mm and eight million 7.62x54mm cartridges...
    Does that stuff grow on ammo trees in the old eastern bloc countries? 800 years from now archaeologists will be digging up ancient warehouses full of 7.62x54r.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    SeanM, can you please point out what specific places I can find the information you provided or post a link to the information specifically sighting American vets fighting in the 17 Feb Brigade. I am curious because I am unable to find the information on what you stated anywhere I have searched. I would also be grateful if you, or anyone else for that matter could sight any other examples off the top of your head that I can research on my own that support Jeeps points. When I looked up the 17 Feb Brigade all that comes up are a few specific actions the group took and basic composition in terms of numbers. Nothing extremely specific demographically.

I mean no offense but I am the type that needs to see all the facts for myself. Until I see those for myself I will still fail to see a resemblance of current Infantry Airborne forces to street gangs and the disaffected young Jihadis and still be a bit offended.
    I don't know where you could "find" that information. I don't have a link to an article or a website.

I understand the desire to see "facts" for yourself. As it stands, I simply don't know where one would find information like that.

SeanM, can you please point out what specific places I can find the information you provided or post a link to the information specifically sighting American vets fighting in the 17 Feb Brigade. I am curious because I am unable to find the information on what you stated anywhere I have searched. I would also be grateful if you, or anyone else for that matter could sight any other examples off the top of your head that I can research on my own that support Jeeps points. When I looked up the 17 Feb Brigade all that comes up are a few specific actions the group took and basic composition in terms of numbers. Nothing extremely specific demographically.

I mean no offense but I am the type that needs to see all the facts for myself. Until I see those for myself I will still fail to see a resemblance of current Infantry Airborne forces to street gangs and the disaffected young Jihadis and still be a bit offended. Although I am completely open to being proven wrong. Frankly, I understand that the remarks are not personal but it sure as hell comes across that way when someone compares something that you dedicated your life to; to thugs, criminals and the scum of society. Therefore I would like specifics on what characteristics Jeep believes to be present in the various groups by comparison, (if you are willing). The statement by itself is inflammatory without further explanation or context.

If the only characteristics Jeep is referring to are comradeship and excitement that would be one thing and understandable but it is rather difficult from me to find any admirable traits among the groups mentioned in comparison to those who say they will do everything they are told to do as long as its legal, morale, and ethical to include dying for the one standing next to him. I will ad one caveat, I do realize that there can be criminal elements in any organization often simply waiting for opportunity but that doesn't make that organization as a whole rotten or criminal by association. I just believe the comparison to be a little to broad if that makes any sense.
    PM inbound. Won't explain anything but might help nonetheless.
    #RESIST

SeanM, and Jeep. I just want you to know I appreciate the input. I had a brief PM from LL and it cleared up some things while leaving the rest vague. I just want you, (SeanM) and Jeep to know that it is not a question of character simply my desire to have hard data and information. I came here to learn and grow. I appreciate the clarification Jeep as to what you meant. I though for a second as to what you were alluding to but was a bit clouded by emotion. Thanks again for clearing things up. You gave me something to ponder and hopefully I will find the information that I am looking for that SeanM pointed to. Also thanks again LL for the PM. I hope I don't come off as a total cheese dick but I really appreciate this forum, the conversation and the caliber of people on here. Hopefully I will meet some of you at ECQC this Oct.

SeanM, and Jeep. I just want you to know I appreciate the input. I had a brief PM from LL and it cleared up some things while leaving the rest vague. I just want you, (SeanM) and Jeep to know that it is not a question of character simply my desire to have hard data and information. I came here to learn and grow. I appreciate the clarification Jeep as to what you meant. I though for a second as to what you were alluding to but was a bit clouded by emotion. Thanks again for clearing things up. You gave me something to ponder and hopefully I will find the information that I am looking for that SeanM pointed to. Also thanks again LL for the PM. I hope I don't come off as a total cheese dick but I really appreciate this forum, the conversation and the caliber of people on here. Hopefully I will meet some of you at ECQC this Oct.
    Mike: No problem and thank you for your service. As for Sean's information, I doubt you will find a public source--unfortunately our news media has stopped reporting all sorts of interesting information because it doesn't fit the "narrative" that now seems to control their reporting. The information isn't classified, it just doesn't get reported. Personally, though, I don't doubt it for a second given the source, and we have seen similar things in the Balkans, Afghanistan and Somalia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I'm not sure that it would comply with the laws of war, but if we really wanted to undermine the IS, perhaps our strategy should be exporting Obamacare to them.
    I would contribute all my obamacares to the cause, if you can guarantee the Hague won't learn of my involvement.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

User Tag List