Page 19 of 57 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: The Islamic State

I think the absolute best case that armed citizens could accomplish in a Kenyan Mall or Mumbai type attack is nibble around the edges. A militarized sheriff's department's SWAT team would be a help.

But I if they go VBIED or other IED then all the EDC loadout in the world will be useless compared to the NSA triangulating on them.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'm sure that the authorities have plans in place to secure the border and stop ISIS. I'm going back to watching Honey Boo Boo and the ball game.

It would be a rare, rare, rare case for a dude to be able to get to a long gun in the car in time to do anything useful.

Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That source doesn't inspire my confidence.
    Bad? I honestly don't know. I'd saw it reported on a few of the majors and they referenced that article as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I think the absolute best case that armed citizens could accomplish in a Kenyan Mall or Mumbai type attack is nibble around the edges. A militarized sheriff's department's SWAT team would be a help.

But I if they go VBIED or other IED then all the EDC loadout in the world will be useless compared to the NSA triangulating on them.
    Nibbling around the edges, however, might be enough to through off the timing and effectiveness of an attack, which in turn can greatly reduce casualties. You don't need to actually hit the bad guys for that. Return gun fire can be enough. As for IED's, I think you are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I don't like government mandated & run healthcare any more than the next guy.

But come on...........

Implying that forcing the AHA on a terrorist or extremist group would somehow find it's nemesis and ultimate destruction in ObamaCare is a little much.
    Well no, terrorist groups don't adopt health insurance plans. But based upon my own experience over the past year, I can tell you that if they did adopt something like the ACA they would be so bogged down in the bureaucratic nightmare that they would have a LOT less time to plan terrorist attacks.

So while obviously the joke didn't work--there is still some reality behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    It would be a rare, rare, rare case for a dude to be able to get to a long gun in the car in time to do anything useful.

Just sayin.
    I agree for the most part, though one thing about the Kenya situation, one guy was halfway across town when his brother texted him that he was caught up in it. He drove like a lunatic to get there and try to help his brother, and was one of the civvys and off duty cops that ended up spending several hours inside getting people out. The people in charge, police or .mil, didn't seem to be very organized in their response at first. At one point he said he exchanged shots with one of the AK armed terrs. He had only his carry pistol.

I'd guess that the official response would probably be faster in the states than it was in Nairobi though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

Just sayin.
    I don't think the next terror here will be mano-a-mano.
    Mumbai/Kenya-style public places, Beslan (God forbid!), etc.
    More tools in the trunk don't hurt.

I was only half-serious, BTW. Ok, 60%.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    I think it is posturing to overestimate TX. The percentage of permits is small for the overall population. An informal survey of CHLs by an officer in the CHL trainer's organization (informal also) suggests that 80% don't carry. They just want a 'car' gun. Very few if they carry have a substantial weapon - it's J frames and LCPs - or Cheapo Taurus snubbys or their semi stuff.

So if you think there are waves of substantially trained gun folk in the mail with something besides a popgun, think again. Hanging out with the gun folk probably leads you to overestimate the committed population. Plus there are tons of soft targets with 30.06 signs or legislative bans (schools). A Mumbai style attack on a mall would cause the chaos wanted. One on the zillions of elementary schools would be a massive disaster.

Sorry, the Guns of Texas is nice to posture about but they aren't really there in what would be needed for a well planned attack. Certainly as Dr. Lee Silverman demonstrated you can stop a lone nut. You could stop a Luby's scenario but don't overestimate things with TX cliches.

Mumbai was also a failure of will of the first responders - ill trained with Lee-Enfields. That's not a bad rifle if you known how.

Sure, you may decide to attack the Smithville BBQ after class where you have 20 guys dripping guns. That's rare.

Note, I'm am not denigrating the armed person trying their best. I do however prefer to be realistic.

I know folks who do carry long arms in their vehicle for SHTF. You do have the problem of retrieving your long arm, running towards the mall and then having some nice person popping you with a 380 as you look to be the problem.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 08-30-2014 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Another thought

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I think it is posturing to overestimate TX. The percentage of permits is small for the overall population. An informal survey of CHLs by an officer in the CHL trainer's organization (informal also) suggests that 80% don't carry. They just want a 'car' gun. Very few if they carry have a substantial weapon - it's J frames and LCPs - or Cheapo Taurus snubbys or their semi stuff.

So if you think there are waves of substantially trained gun folk in the mail with something besides a popgun, think again. Hanging out with the gun folk probably leads you to overestimate the committed population. Plus there are tons of soft targets with 30.06 signs or legislative bans (schools). A Mumbai style attack on a mall would cause the chaos wanted. One on the zillions of elementary schools would be a massive disaster.

Sorry, the Guns of Texas is nice to posture about but they aren't really there in what would be needed for a well planned attack. Certainly as Dr. Lee Silverman demonstrated you can stop a lone nut. You could stop a Luby's scenario but don't overestimate things with TX cliches.

Mumbai was also a failure of will of the first responders - ill trained with Lee-Enfields. That's not a bad rifle if you known how.

Sure, you may decide to attack the Smithville BBQ after class where you have 20 guys dripping guns. That's rare.

Note, I'm am not denigrating the armed person trying their best. I do however prefer to be realistic.

I know folks who do carry long arms in their vehicle for SHTF. You do have the problem of retrieving your long arm, running towards the mall and then having some nice person popping you with a 380 as you look to be the problem.
    Also:many folks with CCW permits have them on account of their spouse, who do sometimes carry. It was a shock to see my leftie gun hater professor last year confess in class he held a CCW permit. Not so that he could carry, mind , but because his wife did and if he drove the family car with her gun in the glovebox, he could be jailed .
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List