Page 11 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The Islamic State

Site Supporter
    ^^ One of the Iraqi banks they confiscated in Mosul contained a substantial gold repository and lots of cash.

ISIS just stole $425 million, Iraqi governor says, and became the ‘world’s richest terrorist group’
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

ISIS is the biggest existential threat to The United States of America since Manbearpig.

This'll get 'em fired up! Link shows picture that is NSFW.
    Egyptian feminist Aliaa Magda Elmahdy, 23, challenges the strict nature of Islam on her blog and Facebook pages. She went a step further in her protest against the Islamic State (IS) with a photo of Elmahdy and a veiled woman pooping and menstruating on the black IS flag.

Interesting piece with a version of the origin of ISIS/ISIL http://www.businessinsider.com/how-d...s-foley-2014-8

From following the Syrian war as it was unfolding and various Islamist groups formed to attack Assad's forces as well as so-called moderate rebels the forces that became ISIS were discussed in the mix. At that time no one was claiming this was simply ALQ of Iraq escapees. Even ALQ of Iraq was formed by Jordanian Zarqawi and many other foreign nationals incl oodles of Libyans from the Bengazi area. In any case, there are many versions of its origin being circulated and many of those are thinly veiled efforts to advance one American narrative or the other.

What's weird is seeing a few comments crop up here and there on the social media claiming the US armed and equipped ISIS which is pretty odd. I think I have run down the origin of that thinking which is that some of the Syrian rebels that the CIA and Turkey provided some assistance to at camps in Turkey a few years ago, joined up with ISIS. That speaks to problems vetting students and inevitable defections but that's a far cry from the US creating ISIS.

I think the best evidence is that ISIS is primarily born of the Syrian civil war with heaping amounts of Libyan arms and radicals, plus Iraq Sunni survivors plus a significant contingent of US or European jihadists.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post
    This'll get 'em fired up! Link shows picture that is NSFW.
    You've come a long way, baby.
    Ignore Alien Orders

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    What's weird is seeing a few comments crop up here and there on the social media claiming the US armed and equipped ISIS which is pretty odd. I think I have run down the origin of that thinking which is that some of the Syrian rebels that the CIA and Turkey provided some assistance to at camps in Turkey a few years ago, joined up with ISIS.
    That, and we armed them indirectly (and unintentionally) via the vast dumps of supplies we'd given to the Iraqi National Retreating Team.

I think the whole "Well, we created Osama!" myth is so embedded in the Low Information Psyche that it's become an all-purpose reflexive response.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    That, and we armed them indirectly (and unintentionally) via the vast dumps of supplies we'd given to the Iraqi National Retreating Team.
    And we have an Internets winner for the day!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    ^^ One of the Iraqi banks they confiscated in Mosul contained a substantial gold repository and lots of cash.

ISIS just stole $425 million, Iraqi governor says, and became the ‘world’s richest terrorist group’
    Of course, he might have taken some or all of the gold first, and then blamed it on ISIS--this being Iraq. My guess is that none of their government institutions has the money they are supposed to have, with most of it going into various custodians' accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    ISIS is the biggest existential threat to The United States of America since Manbearpig.
    I'm not sure if that was completely tongue in cheek or not.....but if you're saying ISIS isn't really a threat to the US, I'd disagree.

They're a very real threat to US interests overseas. Namely that thing to do with filling power vacuums and destabilizing regimes.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm not sure if that was completely tongue in cheek or not.....but if you're saying ISIS isn't really a threat to the US, I'd disagree.

They're a very real threat to US interests overseas. Namely that thing to do with filling power vacuums and destabilizing regimes.
    The question is who is more of a pressing threat: ISIS or those who will use the treat of ISIS to throw away our Constitutional Rights?

User Tag List