Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anyone know much about .32 H&R Magnum?

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    I shot the Federal and Buffalo Bore rounds into milk cartons of water (sort of the old Firearms Tactical/McPhereson test) from 7 yards and through 4 layers of denim. DocGKR, I am not, but I thought it was worth a look. NO expansion on any round. I dropped the denim and got closer. You could have re-used the bullets almost. So, I tested the 100 gr full wadcutter Fiocchi target load with 4 layers of denim and got the proper amount of penetration (it's been so long, I forget now what that number in water is) and said "well, at least it doesn't kick..."
    Do you recall what the penetration was on the HP's? What pistol did you use and what was the barrel length? Just curious.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

The test was done with the 1 7/8 inch J frame S&W. It was a long time ago but the penetration was very good indeed as I recall. Jacketed bullet, no expansion, high sectional density, and moving at decent velocity, it should have been. I too would have been surprised by decent terminal performance from these rounds but since a reputable firm was selling it I wanted to see.
    I wasn't aware of anything but snubbies being made in this caliber so I figured these were designed to work in a short barreled piece. So unless someone has a one-off 6 inch N frame in this caliber (10 rounds?, that would be kinda cool) the .32 H&R Magnum is a pointless round as it stands. As a low recoil alternative to a .22 revolver for the really recoil/blast sensitive user the .32 Long 100 gr wadcutter sure works though.

16-4 K frame with a 4" barrel. They also were produced with a 6" and a 8 3/8" barrel.

It is an excellent alternative for recoil sensitive shooters. In a K frame it's a pleasure to shoot.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    16-4 K frame with a 4" barrel. They also were produced with a 6" and a 8 3/8" barrel.

It is an excellent alternative for recoil sensitive shooters. In a K frame it's a pleasure to shoot.
    I had several K frames and love the M10/M13 but prefer the heavier models like the GP100-3 or M686-3incher and using 38spl or 38spl+P.
    The above revolvers are easier to hold still while yanking the trigger. Well for me that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I had several K frames and love the M10/M13 but prefer the heavier models like the GP100-3 or M686-3incher and using 38spl or 38spl+P.
    The above revolvers are easier to hold still while yanking the trigger. Well for me that is.
    Ruger makes a GP100 in .327 Mag in an eight shot configuration and a SP 101 .32 Mag in a six shooter. Taurus, Charter Arms and of course H&R made/make .32 Mags as well although quality might be an issue if you were to shoot it a lot.
    There are a couple of threads on the S&W forums in which aficionados of the caliber have had .32's and .327's built using a .38 K frame and a .22/.22 Mag barrel and cylinder. They claim the cost isn't much more than a new K frame.

It's a boutique caliber any more. It has it's uses and can be functionally relevant.
    Julius Caesar

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    It's a boutique caliber any more. It has it's uses and can be functionally relevant.
    .32 H&R Mag is in that nether region occupied by 10mm; there is a large enough user base, enough enthusiasts, and the occasional cataloged model to keep it from vanishing, but it's never going to be "Buy it at Walmart" popular.

I've thought about reaming my 4" 31-1 to take the round. It's not like it has any real collectability to ruin.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    .32 H&R Mag is in that nether region occupied by 10mm; there is a large enough user base, enough enthusiasts, and the occasional cataloged model to keep it from vanishing, but it's never going to be "Buy it at Walmart" popular.

I've thought about reaming my 4" 31-1 to take the round. It's not like it has any real collectability to ruin.
    Is that a project you'd tackle yourself or would you have it done? I've heard Bowen Classic Arms is the place for this type of work but it doesn't [I]look[I] too hard if one had access to the proper tools. I'm pondering doing the same with my 4" Model 30-1 so any information or nudges (or shoves) in the right direction are appreciated.
    Julius Caesar

If they started making 432s again I'd buy a brace of them to use as BUG guns.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Is that a project you'd tackle yourself or would you have it done? I've heard Bowen Classic Arms is the place for this type of work but it doesn't [I]look[I] too hard if one had access to the proper tools. I'm pondering doing the same with my 4" Model 30-1 so any information or nudges (or shoves) in the right direction are appreciated.
    I need to call Gunsmith Bob this evening anyway. I'll ask about how much renting a reamer will cost, and the feasibility of doing a few guns at a time while it's rented if that's possible.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I need to call Gunsmith Bob this evening anyway. I'll ask about how much renting a reamer will cost, and the feasibility of doing a few guns at a time while it's rented if that's possible.
    Oi! I need a Gunsmith Bob! Claude Werner came by Casa de Wheeler a few months ago and worked over a few .38's and .357's. Mainly chamfering and we bobbed a hammer and rounded a trigger on a 3" M36. I'd dearly like to find someone with the tools to work on the .32's though.

I look forward to seeing how it turns it should you decide to do the deed.
    Julius Caesar

User Tag List