Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Federal Court upholds Maryland's AWB

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I just want to ask why aren't focusing on the right to self-defense and the use by police as reason why assault weapons should be available to citizens.
    Cody
    Because self defense is not in the cultural lexicon of the average American. As far as Joe and Jane Public are concerned, Officer Tim needs a gun for his job and Pharmacist Tim does not. Thats why we see rulings like this;the judges first reaction to the concept that ordinary people need an AR15 is incredulity, not acceptance.

At one point in my studies ,I took a class being taught by a sitting Federal judge. One day the topic was about the Supreme Court of the US, and how they resolve conflicts between ciruit splits. After the lesson he opened the floor for questions.
    I asked a question about why it was that the SCOTUS hadnt resolved the 7th Circuit ruling in favor of CCW in IL compared to the various rulings against the same elsewhere.

His answer essentially was that he owned a bolt actiom rifle and shotgun, voted Democrat, liked guns, but that some issues need to be left to the states to decide and that differences in gun laws were a consequence we had to live with for the greater good. Se'f defense? He didnt even know what that meant with regard to specific use of firearms.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but generally I don't think enough people realize how close we are to having a Supreme Court that interprets the Second Amendment like this judge did. We currently have a 5 to 4 gun-friendly majority, and 2 of those 5 are 78 years old. Scalia and Kennedy will not be around much longer. If an anti-gun President is elected in 2016, the Supreme Court will no longer recognize the Second Amendment in any meaningful way. That might sound like hyperbole, but I really think that's the reality. This ruling shows how easily anti-gun judges can interpret precedent and the Constitution in whatever way they see fit.

I only speed read the article, but what about other guns using similar cartridges, did the judge even consider them when determine that MSR's are evil?
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

In the months before Judge Clark made her ruling, two expert witnesses (Buford Boone and Gary Roberts) provided the court a plethora of accurate, peer reviewed, fully validated information from LE, DOD, and medical sources on the intermediate barrier penetration and wounding characteristics of handgun, shotgun, carbine, and rifle munitions, as well as information on general wound ballistic facts, shot placement, anatomy, physiology, incapacitation mechanisms, magazine capacity issues, defensive shooting issues, and common usage of various weapons.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Seems like this getting to the SCOTUS is the best course of action.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If Maryland gets an adverse ruling from the Fourth Circuit, I'd assume California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York will all attempt to get Maryland to not appeal.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    If Maryland gets an adverse ruling from the Fourth Circuit, I'd assume California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York will all attempt to get Maryland to not appeal.
    Though it was never specifically stated, I'm fairly certain the reason Lisa Madigan never appealed Moore v. Madigan was likely due to the fact that if she did, and SCOTUS ruled in favor of CCW, she'd never be able to show her face at the DNC's Catalina Wine Mixer again. She'd be lucky to find work as a congressmen's aide to some local yokel democrat.

21 States support overturning Maryland's Assault Weapons ban.
    Curious that Virginia was not one of them
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s-ban/?hpid=z4
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    21 States support overturning Maryland's Assault Weapons ban.
    Curious that Virginia was not one of them
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...s-ban/?hpid=z4
    Cody
    Not very surprising given the current governor and AG in Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    While generally this has been true. They seem to be a version of Russian roulette lately.

User Tag List