Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite tactical / tacticool lingo or terminology?

That doesn't sound like Starship Troopers to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    He's talking about Beyond This Horizon.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Totally stealing this idea. Thanks!
    I don't like splinters; plus they're great for picking up all steel stages if you don't want to get spray paint on your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence View Post
    Starship Troopers is one the where the equivalent of a TSA employee would get to become a voting citizen, but a private businessman couldn't.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    An armed society is a polite society - if we are talking RAH. People didn't read the book. The society was some kind of genetically determined autocracy. Being armed was part of posturing and the armed folks were not pleasant to others and women. They would fight over minor slights. The main hero wasn't happy with it and was thinking of taken up the broussard (sp?) which indicated you weren't armed as he thought the posturing was foolish. His friend and genetic mentor (trying to get him to breed with the right mate) was horrifed as it would mark Felix as a wussy. Felix was a touch retro as he had a 1911 made up. He shot a brave with it who was shocked as the latter expected a neat cauterized ray gun wound. Felix found a girl friend who was experimental genetic type (so she was acceptable to breed) and she carried a blaster (not expected of women).

Thus the often quote phrase isn't really understood for its implications in the book.
    "Brassard".

And yes, it's a reference to dueling, as the entire quote is "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

If you haven't read Gentlemen's Blood by Holland or The Secret History of the Sword by Amberger, I recommend them. The latter, especially.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I don't like splinters; plus they're great for picking up all steel stages if you don't want to get spray paint on your hands.
    It is also good to use them so you don't get experience what tetanus feels like.

Anyways I think that "tactical" gloves are overdone, but there are uses for them even if you aren't decked out in MOLLE.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yeah, a lot depends on who's doing the talking. If you're covered in tactical gear and are grossly out of shape; I'm ignoring you or very possibly outright making fun of you.
    I get an even bigger laugh when they're so dense they don't even realise they're the joke.
    I experinced this the other day when I encountered a fellow who calls himself "Dangerous"

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Re: the Mechanix gloves. They're trendy but....they work and they're cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I keep a pair in my range bag for helping tear down stages after a match. And because having a cheap semi-disposable pair of gloves is a great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    It is also good to use them so you don't get experience what tetanus feels like.

Anyways I think that "tactical" gloves are overdone, but there are uses for them even if you aren't decked out in MOLLE.
    Don't get me wrong I wear mechanics gloves but I'm a earthmoving mechanic, I use them when changing hot turbos on engines that have just been shutdown or changing 3500 heads ect.
    They are a good bit of kit my issue of late seems to be quite a few people wearing them down at the range whilst shooting. I mean they are running a CZ452 not a Mag58. Whats that all about ?
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Bringing mechanix gloves in your range bag is like bringing condoms on shore leave: a sign of wisdom and experience, gained either from your suffering or another's. I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others, given the opportunity.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Bringing mechanix gloves in your range bag is like bringing condoms on shore leave: a sign of wisdom and experience, gained either from your suffering or another's. I prefer to learn from the mistakes of others, given the opportunity.
    This one time, in Lisbon

"Tactical Timmy" heard at various USPSA matches.........

User Tag List