Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal fit with interchangeable grip panels: Is there a science to it?

Ideal fit with interchangeable grip panels: Is there a science to it?

For those shooting a handgun with a customizable grip, whether it comes with panels/backstraps like the P30/VP9/Gen4/M&P or has aftermarket options like Sigs or 1911s, how much of "science" do you think there is to finding the optimum fit vs just trying a bunch of combinations to see which you shoot best? Even if it is largely a process of trial and error for you, can you look back after the fact and pick out specific reasons why you like what you ended up with?

A few potential factors that come to mind are trigger finger placement, natural indexing during presentation, support hand placement, strong hand thumb position, alignment of knuckles to the frontstrap...I'm sure I could go on. But I'm curious what you view as the priorities, and if you have a specific approach to settling on the best configuration (and then being confident enough to leave it alone!).

I had a P30 a few years ago but it didn't seem to fit me as well as the USPc and P2000 series, which I've been shooting since. Picked up a VP9 recently to give it a shot...I like some of the improvements like the slightly repositioned mag release and the trigger geometry, but haven't had a chance to swap panels with live fire yet. Only had it at the range once so far and found I'd left the baggie with the panels and punch at home. *sigh* Just looking for any guidance to make the most of the flexibility.

There is no science to it. It's an iteration.

You will need the pistol and all its grip-altering pieces, a holster, some targets, and 100 rounds of ammo.

1) With an empty pistol and the smallest grip on it, holster, draw, and dry fire at a target watching carefully how well the sights come aligned on target through the draw stroke and hammer drop.

2) Repeat 1) enough times with all other possible grip size combinations until you find the one that is best for you. It will be fairly obvious.

3) Repeat 1) above except start with ammo in the gun and the grip chosen in step 2. If this exercise confirms your dry fire choice, call it good. If not, start at the beginning with live ammo, then make your final choice.

Don't over analyze this.

It took me several hundred rounds.

The grip that feels best to me, and shoots best for accuracy, is not the grip that I use, as it was not the best for rapid draws or multiple shot targets.

Try the FAST drill (okay okay okay it's not a drill) a number of times which each grip segment - and see what works for you.
    Kevin S. Boland
    Director of R&D
    Law Tactical LLC
    www.lawtactical.com
    kevin@lawtactical.com
    407-451-4544

Quote Originally Posted by e0603 View Post
    Even if it is largely a process of trial and error for you, can you look back after the fact and pick out specific reasons why you like what you ended up with?

A few potential factors that come to mind are trigger finger placement, natural indexing during presentation, support hand placement, strong hand thumb position, alignment of knuckles to the frontstrap...I'm sure I could go on. But I'm curious what you view as the priorities, and if you have a specific approach to settling on the best configuration (and then being confident enough to leave it alone!).
    I'm not quite picturing what you mean by "alignment of knuckles to the frontstrap" -- how should the knuckles be aligned?

My experience with the PPQ has made me question the effects of curved backstraps (such as those on the PPQ, P99, and perhaps the P30). I enjoy the PPQ and generally shoot it well, but the mid-sized backstrap seems to give too little surface for my support hand to contact the grip, and the large backstrap moves my firing-hand thumb far enough back to cause pretty serious "frame bite" on the base knuckle of the thumb (where it is impacted by the corner of the frame at the rear of the slide), which makes firing more than a few dozen rounds painful for days afterwards.

I have a theory that curved backstraps seem to move certain parts of the hand farther from where they should be while bringing other parts of the hand too close-in or cramped. I also wonder if the curve has an influence on recoil management, in that it allows the backstrap to "roll" against your palm, giving the gun more "muzzle flip" -- common feedback I've encountered about the PPQ.

I try to find the configuration that maximizes left hand contact with the textured area of the frame to improve recoil management with cold, dry hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    I try to find the configuration that maximizes left hand contact with the textured area of the frame to improve recoil management with cold, dry hands.
    This, and I am also interested in how it causes my finger to contact the trigger. I want the ability to optimize finishing flat with the press, and a relaxed position conducive to pressing the trigger with the least strain.

An alternative, which is probably most common, is to just shoot what it ships with, and if you hit a plateau in your shooting, start messing with pieces, as in the trick of the day.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by e0603 View Post
    For those shooting a handgun with a customizable grip, whether it comes with panels/backstraps like the P30/VP9/Gen4/M&P or has aftermarket options like Sigs or 1911s, how much of "science" do you think there is to finding the optimum fit vs just trying a bunch of combinations to see which you shoot best? Even if it is largely a process of trial and error for you, can you look back after the fact and pick out specific reasons why you like what you ended up with?

I had a P30 a few years ago but it didn't seem to fit me as well as the USPc and P2000 series, which I've been shooting since. Picked up a VP9 recently to give it a shot...I like some of the improvements like the slightly repositioned mag release and the trigger geometry, but haven't had a chance to swap panels with live fire yet. Only had it at the range once so far and found I'd left the baggie with the panels and punch at home. *sigh* Just looking for any guidance to make the most of the flexibility.

I think you're on to a good process there. You really have to reinforce it with live fire validation.

Originally I had the medium backstrap on my P30 and thought it really felt right. I shot a bit with it and it was okay. Then I went out to USSA and shot 3000 rounds in 3 days and after day 1 my palm was bruised to hell. I switched to the small strap and the problem completely went away.

I noticed with my new VP9 that it came with the medium strap on it and it was kicking the front sight high when I indexed on the target. Switched back to a small and it felt great. Little live fire helps!

I have L/XL hands. I run smalls on P30, HK45, P2000SK.
    Part of this is influenced by multiple trips through ECQC. I feel more retention capability, especially 1 handed, with the smaller grip panels.
    I carried and shot GL21/GL30 for years and they were not too big for my hand. Later I carried GL17/GL19 and the GL17 in particular felt easier to grip securely.

Perhaps I need to review this again from a pure speed/accuracy perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. No View Post
    I think you're on to a good process there. You really have to reinforce it with live fire validation.

Originally I had the medium backstrap on my P30 and thought it really felt right. I shot a bit with it and it was okay. Then I went out to USSA and shot 3000 rounds in 3 days and after day 1 my palm was bruised to hell. I switched to the small strap and the problem completely went away.

I noticed with my new VP9 that it came with the medium strap on it and it was kicking the front sight high when I indexed on the target. Switched back to a small and it felt great. Little live fire helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I have L/XL hands. I run smalls on P30, HK45, P2000SK.
    Part of this is influenced by multiple trips through ECQC. I feel more retention capability, especially 1 handed, with the smaller grip panels.
    I carried and shot GL21/GL30 for years and they were not too big for my hand. Later I carried GL17/GL19 and the GL17 in particular felt easier to grip securely.

Perhaps I need to review this again from a pure speed/accuracy perspective.
    Interesting. I understand Ernest Langdon runs the large back on his P30, and feels that allows him to get higher on the pistol, and control recoil better.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have converted to thins and a short trigger on 1911s at first to correct finger address issues but later because I feel a more positive index. I also hit the grip safety better. I ran small on my gen 4 g17 happily, purely for trigger address. I have been happy so far with the stock setup on the p30 and will not monkey with it for a couple thousand rounds.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List