Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Teaching the Snub Revolver

One of the main reasons I included the SHO/WHO work was because of female students. I wanted to make sure they were capable of a) pulling the trigger WHO and b) firing the gun SHO without it flying out of their hand. Neither of those is a given. I've had fails on both of those in classes.

There was a documented incident in Florida where a woman had a snub and had received gunhandling instruction from a local policeman but had never live fired it. Unfortunately, when she had to defend herself, the gun flew out of her hand upon firing the first shot, which didn't hit. IIRC, the incident didn't end well for her.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Snubs are very much like shotguns. People "think" they are what everyone should have, when in fact, they are two of the hardest systems to master. For those who are willing to invest the time and effort, both are fantastic. Unfortunately, most of the folks using them will not invest in what is needed to truly be even competent with them.
    I'm not contesting your points, I agree with them. But they seem like a useful quote from which to throw out some counter conventional wisdom.

A year or so ago I jousted with Headhunter on FB about the J frame snub for women. Are there better options? No doubt. But while it is terrifically hard to "master", it's also ridiculously easy to learn to employ crudely at a range of 5 feet. And it seems many women who want to carry a handgun have no desire to master it to the level of the PF membership. Rather they want something small and easily carried and capable of peeling someone off of them.

I've known a few non-dedicated ladies who could quickly drive those 5 shots center mass at ranges a bit less than 7 yards. One on her first outing was shooting hand span groups at 7 yards quite quickly.

I ascribe to Headhunter's enthusiasm for some the .22 options, btw. But as some of his other research and analysis indicates, almost any working handgun gets it done most of the time.

I cannot bring myself to leave the house with only a snub but we've got a couple and they're awfully handy.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

If the goal is crudely functional to fire a couple of rounds at a couple of yards...then "yep" both systems are fine and as usual, I hope people get the encounter that is within their capability.

My point is that a medium frame revolver and a stocked light recoiling carbine give a bunch more capability in the same amount of training time. Again....it seems that folks want the things that really need more training but are not willing to make the investment to really be viable.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    If the goal is crudely functional to fire a couple of rounds at a couple of yards...then "yep" both systems are fine and as usual, I hope people get the encounter that is within their capability.

My point is that a medium frame revolver and a stocked light recoiling carbine give a bunch more capability in the same amount of training time. Again....it seems that folks want the things that really need more training but are not willing to make the investment to really be viable.
    +1 Preach on!!!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Just went downstairs and dug up a few hundred rounds of 38 special for tomorrow. Great post!

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool snubbie fan, so thank you for posting.

I am very sorry to read that you will no longer be teaching this course. Like others, I was itching to take it.

I also much appreciate you making your course materials available for us to practice with. Thank you for doing that.

Thanks for posting. I really enjoyed your PDN DVD and I plan to use this material as well.

I am nowhere NEAR the level most of the participants of this forum are, but as a sort of "layman" I like to read what you guys say and pick up on tips and tricks. Thanks. As far as snub revolvers go, I read a book "The Snubby Revolver" by Ed Lovette and it not only opened my eyes to the potential of these little guns but had a LOT of great info within its pages. It was this publication that really started my affinity for the snub revolver and its carry. I have a 5-shot 357 that I always seem to be able to find a place for when going out. When I don't feel like toting a larger (Glock G30 or G19) the little 357 is always an option. Carried AIWB it's a good talisman ... So I guess I, too, am sorry to see the end of a snubby class -- even though I had no thought about attending, it seems a shame others won't get exposed to this neat little weapon.
    -- Robert

Claude- Would love to see you write a book about your experiences and methods with the snub. I'm in for the first dozen copies.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

User Tag List