Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 17 problems W/Gen2 fresh back from Glock

The fact that an aftermarket "High Reliability" part needs to be made for a Glock is just fucked up.

Whoever OK'd the changes that fucked up Glock - Eat shit and die.

Mine was a Gen2 and came back with a Gen2 extractor without the LCI--which is the way it went there. This isn't a case of a new Glock this is a case of one that went to the factory and came back with issues that it did not previously have that had to be fixed with none Glock parts. Not sure if it was the Lone Wolf Extractor, the white sound part, or a combo of the two that fixed it. Either one of them might have been enough, but the thing works so I don't feel like experimenting.

But find solace, Mitchel, in that you are not the only one that has bad problems with firearms.

Interesting data point. I broke a 2nd Gen G17 slide and Glock replaced it at no cost to me. The new slide (received it 3 days ago) has a LCI extractor and exhibits the same random ejection pattern as others (and myself) have reported.

I have 3 Gen 2 G-17s with an assortment of extractors.

Serial # HUxxx has the 90* cut at the rear of the ejection port and has a 15* LCI extractor that was replaced by a Glock armorer at a GSSF match a year ago. I only had it worked on because the striker tip was eroded. It has a few hundred rounds through it since then with no problems. It's my back up gun and doesn't get used a lot. This gun has around 100,000 rounds through it. I kept track of how many cases of bullets I had bought. This was my main match gun for many years.

Serial # HZxxx has a replacement slide with a 15* cut in the ejection port and a LCI 15* extractor. This is my wife's main gun and has several thousand trouble free rounds since it came back from Glock about 3 or 4 years ago.

WNxxx has a replacement slide with a 15* cut in the ejection port and a non LCI 15* extractor. This is my wife's back up gun and probably has a few thousand trouble free rounds since the slide was replaced.

I have a Gen 4 G-17 that I by accident had installed an older 90* extractor on. I don't know how many rounds it fired like that. I just noticed one day that I had switched extractors on my Gen 2 and Gen3. They both ran that way.

That's a lot to get to my point. All these guns have run with a 13# recoil spring for the last several years. Ammo is almost exclusively hand loads with a 147 grain jacketed bullet at 900 FPS. Several hundred rounds of self defense type ammo has also run OK.

Check out what the competition guys are running. They fire a lot of rounds and want their guns to run 100%. Many of them use lighter recoil springs.

Here is an update. I could swear that I posted this somewhere on this board, but could not find it by searching with my user name and the words Glock or Apex.

I sent it to Randy Lee of Apex Tactical http://www.apextactical.com and he lowered the ejection port and did some tuning with the extractor and now it works well, functions reliably, and does not bop me in the face or head with ejected cases.

Below is a picture of a normal Glock 17 on top of the one that Randy Lee worked on. You can seethe lowered ejection port on the bottom one.

The mod may look simple, but I would not suggest anyone try it themselves (cough, cough, Mitchel

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by ed l View Post
    The mod may look simple, but I would not suggest anyone try it themselves
    That's because case hardene... I'm sorry, "Tenifered" Glock slides are harder than woodpecker lips. I'd be happy to let a gunsmith tear up his tools rather than do likewise to my roomie's...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ed l View Post
    I have a Gen 2 Glock 17 that I sent to Glock because it was ejecting cases in my face at times.

Well, it still bops me in the head with brass every so often,

My other Glock 17 sometimes hits me in the head with ejected cases
    FWIW, my armorer and instructor experience is that when something is a "sometimes" thing, and it occurs in one platform but not another, it is usually a combination of things, usually an intermittent mixture....for example, a mag that is a little out of spec combined with an occassional grip that is a bit weak or off-kilter. Either one by itself, no problem, but every now and then the two come together for a perfect storm event.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

When I say sometimes hit me in the head with ejected cases, I mean that it did not do so every time I pulled the trigger. (edited for clarification) It did it more than half the time I pulled the trigger. This occurred with a variety of magazines and ammo and with other people shooting it.

Randy Lee's modifcations turned the "sometimes" into a "never."

(edited to add) Considering that a number of people have experinced this problem with their Glocks, including boardmembers Wayne Dobbs & Nyeti, I would say the issue is far from isolated.
    Last edited by Ed L; 07-10-2012 at 06:41 PM.

User Tag List