Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 17 problems W/Gen2 fresh back from Glock

Glock 17 problems W/Gen2 fresh back from Glock

I have a Gen 2 Glock 17 that I sent to Glock because it was ejecting cases in my face at times. This was after I tried having various knowledgeable Glock Armoerers try to fix it.

I sent the Gun to Glock with a note detailing the issues. I got it back with a note saying: Inspected, Replaced Parts, Meets Factory Specs, Tested OK."

Well, it still bops me in the head with brass every so often, so my solution is to make sure to wear a peaked cap even when shooting indoors--should be common sense on my part, right?

But worst of all, it has a disturbing new problem that it never had before--occasional failures to extract where the rim of the case is barely sticking out of the chamber and the new round from the magazine and the new round from the magazine gets caught trying to feed because the empty case has not extracted. This ocurred with the same magazine with two different brands of ammunition--Winchester Ranger 124 grain +P JHP and some of the Winchester White box 9mm Nato 124 grain FMJ. I fired about 200 rounds throguh the gun and had the failures to extract twice with the above-mentioned ammo. I don't know if they put a new extractor in the gun--but I don't think so since it does not have the loaded chamber indicator.

Any thoughts on this?

thanks

Site Supporter
    Is your extractor a loaded chamber indicator version?

What color is the plastic bearing (part of the extractor spring assy) that rides up against the slide cover plate?
    Last edited by JV_; 07-11-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Unless there is something obvious with Glock's reassembly of the pistol, I would suggest sending it back to Glock. It sounds like they introduced a new problem along with a replacement part, and you should not have to spend your ammunition and time to fix it.

Banned
    The brass hitting you in the head could be your fault. With a stock recoil spring my brass exits consistently to 4:00 o'clock, but it hits my girlfriend right in the face. With a 13lb recoil spring it goes to 4:00 for both of us. The reason is that her grip isn't as solid as mine.

The failure to extract sounds like a real problem. I would start by making sure the extractor spring/assembly is installed properly. Also, wiggle the extractor and make sure it can move freely. If it's hung up at any point this could cause it to fail to extract the round. A replacement part could solve it, or you could also remove any burrs on the extractor that may cause it to "stick" at points in it's movement.

Frankly, I find it absurd that so many people are having problems with extraction in their Glocks. Someone needs to clean house over there.

If his other Glocks don't hit him in the head with ejected brass, the problem is not being induced by him.

Send it back.
    #RESIST

Ed, how long did Glock take to get your gun back to you?

It does not have the loaded chamber indicator--it did not go there with one or come back with one.

It took about 2 months to get it back.

It was wierd dealing with them. I held forever to get a rep and when I asked if I needed a return authorization number, I was told just send it back with a letter in the box.

It took about 2 months to get it back.

I have a Gen 2 Glock 17 & Gen 2 Glock 19 that had never exhibited the failures to extract. Neither did this one until I sent it to Glock.

My other Glock 17 sometimes hits me in the head with ejected cases--but not the 19. I am shooting mod iso, been to a bunch of classes, and when I am doing everything right I can put 10 shots into the hear of a silhouette at 25 yards with any of the Glocks.

The only thing that could be an issue is that it happened both times with the same magazine. This is an older mag that came with one of the guns that has the LEO only stamp on it. I am not sure that I ever used this mag before, because it is not even numbered.

However, I don't see a failure to extract where just the rim of the empty case is sticking out of the chamber can be a magazine issue.
    Last edited by Ed L; 07-14-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Thanks Ed. Have one in Smyrna now, wondered when to expect it back...

An update.

Thanks to Wayne Dobbs who suggested I get a Lone Wolf extractor and a High Reliability Extractor Depressor (H.R.E.D.)™ Plunger Assembly: http://www.whitesounddefense.com/pro....E.D.-9mm.html.

I had an acquaintance who is a Glock armorer install them, and have since fired 300+ rounds of the same ammo that had been previously giving it issues without experiencing any problems. I realize that this is not a lot of rounds, but previously I had 2 problems within a lot less rounds than that.

The ejection issues seem to have improved. I think I got bopped on the hat once or twice in the 300+ rounds that I fired.

It is unfortunate that I needed to have these mods to make the gun run reliably. At one time I was able to recommend a Glock 17 or 19 without warnings or instructions to buy a specific vintage.

I am becoming a little disillusioned with Glock. I'm not even a Glock guy but I have always respected their gold standard reliability. Is that or has that changed? Even for the 9mm's?

User Tag List