Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Man, I'd sure like a 9mm j-frame...

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    This ^ should be a sticky. It covers ALL the bases regarding this idea/concept, in simple language with logical (and true) conclusions.

And your comment about moonclips and speedloaders… "The reload is harder to conceal than the gun." YES, a thousand times yes. So many times I… well, never mind.

Excellent post, Lester. Very well done.

Thanks man.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    LSP972,

FWIW, reading my post above, wow... it reads a lot more "gun aspie" than I meant it to. Imagine it read in a "Professor Frink" voice from The Simpsons.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    LSP972,

FWIW, reading my post above, wow... it reads a lot more "gun aspie" than I meant it to. Imagine it read in a "Professor Frink" voice from The Simpsons.
    No worries.

Perhaps I'm looking at this from the wrong perspective. I get what you're saying about quicker ejection; but I must be getting fumble-fingered in my old age, because I've been shooting my .45ACP Vaquero and a friend's 1917 (sans clips) a lot lately, and the short/fat cartridges don't single-load easily... particularly in the Vaquero. RNL and ball aren't too bad, but the 185 JSWC bullets in the bullseye ammo I'm using certainly is. Half-moon clips, of course, are no biggee to use. Inserting/removing cases to/from the clips, OTOH, is a four-star PITA even with the tool he has.

And I remember loading a few of those 940s singly (without the clips), fumbling with individual 9mm cartridges. The longer .38 cartridges just were easier to manipulate, period.

The above is what I was basing my observations in this thread on. Competition guys, not concerned with concealment, can deal with it in numerous ways... but I thought we were talking about a concealed-carry snubbie shooting .380 Long Rifle here.

No thread drift that I can see. Different strokes for different folks. I've been carrying a J frame for 35+ years and never had much luck with speedloaders carried as a reload (what little I saw of the moon clips by troopers bringing their 940s to the range cured me of any interest in those). Most of my pals/peers have similar experience. That doesn't mean it won't work; and I have no doubt that there is some leather/accessories around that can make it work better. Discussing it is how we learn of such things.

I will say, though, that you're working hard to make it work...

I've given up on trying to rapidly load j-frames. My current philosophy is that I'll (sometimes) carry reloads for autos, but not for j-frames, and if the zombies get me when I run out of ammo, they get me. I've noticed, though, that there are very, very, very, very few documented incidents of a civilian being overrun by zombies after running out of ammo.

I'm mainly just interested here because of trying to find a revolver I like. A 9mm, moonclip J Frame in all steel with XS Big Dot sights and an awesome DAO internal hammer trigger is the most appealing wheelgun I've seen. The 940 snubby seems to have about the same FPS as a Glock 26, so performance should be pretty darn good for HST.

(But until someone comes out with an eight shot Mateba with top break, auto eject, safety and SAO... it all seems a waste of what a wheelgun could be.)
    Last edited by Haraise; 08-06-2014 at 08:37 PM.

A four round speed strip is really easy to carry, and can get at least two rounds into the gun rather quickly

I will say, though, that you're working hard to make it work...

It doesn't FEEL like work.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

I've been told they can have problems .

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    A four round speed strip is really easy to carry, and can get at least two rounds into the gun rather quickly
    I know a few who carry just 4rds on a speed strip . two rds on each end. They also carry a primary of coarse.

I hope I never have to speed load my M642, well heck I hope I never have to use my primary LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I know a few who carry just 4rds on a speed strip . two rds on each end. They also carry a primary of coarse.

I hope I never have to speed load my M642, well heck I hope I never have to use my primary LOL
    I used to carry six rounds on a speed strip as a J frame reload, because more bullets = better, right? After running my 642 in the local IDPA matches, I've whole heartedly converted to five rounds on a six-round strip. It's just so much easier to load under stress.

User Tag List