Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Man, I'd sure like a 9mm j-frame...

9x19 revolvers that I have personally owned and shot.

1) The S&W M547. Mine was the three-inch round-butt version. I never had an issues with extraction, but the trigger was the worst-feeling K-frame ever due to the unusual mainspring that must have been specified to ignite any 9x19 primer. I never shot it more then one hundred rounds in a range session due to hand fatigue. Loading it was slower than loading a .38/.357 K-frame due to a lack of proper speedloaders. Cleaning the cylinder chambers was tedious as the unburned powder had to be removed from underneath the extractor fingers. Finally sold it to someone who wanted it more than I did.

2) SP-101. I have both the 2.5" and 3-1/16" versions. Both have been to Gemini Customs for their version of Weigand's "Tame the Beast" package. Both have the gold bead front sight, which is a huge improvement over the stock Ruger ramp front sight. The longer barreled one is ported. As a belt gun, it is a very nice shooter, and the Ruger moon clips are decently sturdy, allowing for a very fast reload. Nothing to recommend it over the .357 version other than faster reloading, but shooting a 9x19 revolver is fun. The shorter one makes a decent BUG for a 9x19 belt gun, but reloads from a magazine are slow. Not as slow as ejecting the empties not in clips, but slow. Both guns are heavy for 9x19, but muzzle flip is substantial, which is why the longer barreled one is ported.

My conclusions: fun shooters, but not the best choice for defensive work. I keep them for fun shooting and because they are neat conversation pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    I've given up on trying to rapidly load j-frames. My current philosophy is that I'll (sometimes) carry reloads for autos, but not for j-frames, and if the zombies get me when I run out of ammo, they get me. I've noticed, though, that there are very, very, very, very few documented incidents of a civilian being overrun by zombies after running out of ammo.
    Ive had good luck with HKS ,Safariland loaders. Depending on the grip that is.

I

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    1) The S&W M547. Mine was the three-inch round-butt version. I never had an issues with extraction, but the trigger was the worst-feeling K-frame ever due to the unusual mainspring that must have been specified to ignite any 9x19 primer. I never shot it more then one hundred rounds in a range session due to hand fatigue. Loading it was slower than loading a .38/.357 K-frame due to a lack of proper speedloaders.
    I have to say that, while I have HKS speedloaders for the 547, I've never tried them. (Haven't really shot the gun much. I have a 3" PC13, after all. )
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List