Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactics Against Active Shooters

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Sheep Have Wool, let me get back to you on that as soon as I can.
    Much appreciated. My time is almost exclusively spent at indoor ranges, but I suspect there is some tactics/positioning work that I can do at home with airsoft/dry fire that would be beneficial.
    Sheep Have Wool

You can get a lot of good work done with blue guns.

Or even, as I suspect Claude does, by going to various venues and walking around war gaming the lay-out while "shopping".

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter View Post
    My interview about Tactics Against Active Shooters is in the latest issue of the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Journal. I enjoyed doing it, Gila is a good interviewer.

http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/our-...13-august-2014
    I read this the day it came out, but I had read your blog entries on this topic a few days before that. I'm becoming semi-obsessed with situational awareness. It might seem like heresy to some, but I've come to believe it's probably more important than weapons/shooting skills. Although I am definitely interested shooting drills from OrigamiAK and others, I'd also like to hear what kinds of practical exercises one can do to improve SA. Your blog entry had some nice tips in the context of a walk through your neighborhood, etc., but anything you or anyone else can add, please do! For example, anyone use Kim's Games to try to move past seeing, but not really perceiving? Little practices you've tried to consistently adopt when you're out in public?

Quote Originally Posted by TumblinDown View Post
    I read this the day it came out, but I had read your blog entries on this topic a few days before that. I'm becoming semi-obsessed with situational awareness. It might seem like heresy to some, but I've come to believe it's probably more important than weapons/shooting skills. Although I am definitely interested shooting drills from OrigamiAK and others, I'd also like to hear what kinds of practical exercises one can do to improve SA. Your blog entry had some nice tips in the context of a walk through your neighborhood, etc., but anything you or anyone else can add, please do! For example, anyone use Kim's Games to try to move past seeing, but not really perceiving? Little practices you've tried to consistently adopt when you're out in public?
    Situational awareness is definitely more important than shooting and gunhandling skills. Before those can be employed in any manner, we first have to become aware of a need to do so.

The reason that situational awareness cannot be a sole focus is that sometimes it fails - whether by us lapsing attention, or is negated by circumstance or adversary. Then we need the shooting and gunhandling skills.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    Head shots in training:

Also might engage the head initially if:

We can articulate a lack of availability of the time body shots can require to be effective
    I snipped out all the other justifications you would use for head shots, but my comment applies to all....
    There is no need to justify headshots. If a threat is deserving the application of lawful deadly force, where that force is applied is irelevant.

Great article and read!

Funny thing is that yesterday I took my 10 year old son to a fast food burger joint. He said "dad, I think we need to take out." I asked "Why?" He replied "because there are no good seats." Despite having empty tables, none would have been an acceptable choice for me and he already knew it. As noted, while only a piece of the puzzle, an important one. Imparting that upon others, especially those we love is not difficult and may one day save their life.

Quote Originally Posted by BoppaBear View Post
    OAK, Claude, Roy, do you include the head shots mentioned, in your training? If so, at what distances, and are there any specific drills to run?
    Every class I teach includes at least a few head shots. Most of my student base is not very advanced so the range is 3 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Funny thing is that yesterday I took my 10 year old son to a fast food burger joint. He said "dad, I think we need to take out." I asked "Why?" He replied "because there are no good seats." Despite having empty tables, none would have been an acceptable choice for me and he already knew it. As noted, while only a piece of the puzzle, an important one. Imparting that upon others, especially those we love is not difficult and may one day save their life.
    That's excellent. Your kids will be growing up in a different world than we did. Their skills are going to have to be better than ours.
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    In my classes at past Tac Conferences I talked quite a bit about the idea of having to work around the bad guy having body armor, or the good guy having to take an extended range shot. A number of bad guys have been dumped by the good guys with pistol fire at ranges over 70 yards.

I used pics of the bad guys at the train station in Mumbai, they were rather nonchalant at times and there are a number of points where they would have been very vulnerable to long range pistol fire

I recall one instance at Fairchild AFB (1994) by a USAF SP using his M9. Maybe related, I wonder how many courses include prone shooting with the handgun?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    I recall one instance at Fairchild AFB (1994) by a USAF SP using his M9. Maybe related, I wonder how many courses include prone shooting with the handgun?

Most people in the cop world have lost the art of shooting at long range using a barricade, properly, for support. I imagine it's the same in the non cop world as well. Prone even less common.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    The standard NC course has 6 rounds prone and 6 standing at 25yds.
    One of the biggest and most common mistakes gun owners make is assuming that they are done learning how to shoot.

User Tag List