Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactics Against Active Shooters

Tactics Against Active Shooters

My interview about Tactics Against Active Shooters is in the latest issue of the Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network Journal. I enjoyed doing it, Gila is a good interviewer.

http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/our-...13-august-2014
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Site Supporter
    Thanks.!

This is the part that's hardest to train... Certainly nothing I do on a straight-line firing range is going to help me with positioning myself or executing a winning/survival action plan in a firefight. Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts.

PS: I found this version easier to read: http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/imag...rk_2014-08.pdf
    PPS: Paul-E-Palooza (not Palozza)
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Tactics Against Active Shooters

Great read, and thought-provoking. As a civilian who takes courses, etc., but has no day-to-day experience in engaging active threats, I've often felt like the word "hope" comes into play...not a fan of this word, especially as it pertains to a fight.

I take courses specific to my needs, with good instructors, some that have involved cover and concealment. I read and research, but I have no idea what these efforts will translate to in a real world gun fight.

I do always consider my positioning when in a restaurant, etc. As was stated in the interview, it's not always possible, in every location that we go to, but I can say that I look for what I feel are the best places to sit, the approachability of those places, and exit points (as best I can).

I will tell you that one of the takeaways from this interview, for me, is that I absolutely need to include head shots at distances past 10 yards. And really even torso engagements at those distances. I've fallen victim to the "21 foot rule", and need to expand my capabilities some.

Very cool, excellent interview Claude. I always really enjoy working the individual application of flanking and overrunning maneuvers in our training out here. I’ve tended to reserve that as ‘advanced material’ and have not considered it to be within the main core of defensive handgun instruction. It sounds like you maybe consider it more important bread and butter stuff than that? In any case, it’s awesome to see someone else talking about those maneuvers because that’s not something I’ve seen much, or maybe ever.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

OAK, Claude, Roy, do you include the head shots mentioned, in your training? If so, at what distances, and are there any specific drills to run?

Awesome article.

Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    I always really enjoy working the individual application of flanking and overrunning maneuvers in our training out here. I’ve tended to reserve that as ‘advanced material’ and have not considered it to be within the main core of defensive handgun instruction.
    I'd love some input on drills that I can run/things that I can do to practice my positioning.
    Sheep Have Wool

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BoppaBear View Post
    OAK, Claude, Roy, do you include the head shots mentioned, in your training? If so, at what distances, and are there any specific drills to run?
    I believe a lot of folks here drill this a bunch. http://pistol-training.com/fastest
    Start closer. Work on the drill. Then move it out.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I believe a lot of folks here drill this a bunch. http://pistol-training.com/fastest
    Start closer. Work on the drill. Then move it out.
    Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by BoppaBear View Post
    Head shots in training: Yes, definitely, from about two arms’ lengths to 25 yards – I’d say we work them the most from 3 to 15 yards though. The default shooting response we teach is for a limited number of rounds to the high thoracic cavity, then immediately transition to the head (really, attempting the CNS) if the threat has not stopped by that point. Haven’t seen reluctance on the part of the students here, but by the time we’ve moved beyond the basic pistol class, they tend to be a little higher order of dedication and we start drilling failures to stop pretty hard, on some occasions with photorealistic targets or in scenario/FOF training.

Other devices we use to practice engaging the head are tennis balls and bowling pins hung from the target rail. The ‘bulb’ part of a bowling pin is slightly smaller than a head (not CNS, we are talking about the whole head in this case.) Tennis ball is like a tight CNS target. They can be swung around so they are moving. They can be shot on the move at the same time. When you shoot them, they move some more, and somewhat unpredictably. When you have more than one shooter engaging the same target, other people’s shots move your target even more unexpectedly.

Also might engage the head initially if:

The head is all that’s available

We have a reason to think there is body armor involved (or an explosive device on the body, I suppose, but that’s pretty far afield for us)

We can articulate a lack of availability of the time body shots can require to be effective

Getting lower and using the rising trajectory produced by aiming for the head mitigates danger to bystanders

The threat is so egregious that even with foreground or background issues, we are still choosing to engage and the angle can’t be mitigated or there isn’t time to do so, then the round count might wisely be limited even further than usual by going straight to the head with fewer, more accurate shots. This seems like one that might have applied to the simulation John Hearne went through that was just being discussed in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Have Wool View Post
    I'd love some input on drills that I can run/things that I can do to practice my positioning.
    Sheep Have Wool, let me get back to you on that as soon as I can.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

In my classes at past Tac Conferences I talked quite a bit about the idea of having to work around the bad guy having body armor, or the good guy having to take an extended range shot. A number of bad guys have been dumped by the good guys with pistol fire at ranges over 70 yards.

I used pics of the bad guys at the train station in Mumbai, they were rather nonchalant at times and there are a number of points where they would have been very vulnerable to long range pistol fire.

User Tag List