Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock firing pin channel liner - how bad did I screw up?

Glock firing pin channel liner - how bad did I screw up?

I just purchased a stripped TSD slide milled for RMR.
    Having never installed a firing pin channel liner before, I watched a few videos and then used a large diameter puch to push it into the slide. About 3/4 of the way I encountered some resistance and use a small mallet to lightly hammer it in the last few inches.
    When the time came to put in the firing pin assembly, I have to push it in the last 1/8" of an inch, and it doesn't "float" freely as it should.
    I examined the liner, and it looks OK, but I wonder if it's kinked or damaged? There is also appears to be some plastic marks in the channel where firing pin head is supposed to be.
    Since I don't have any spare liners, I am wondering if there is a way to trouble shoot the issue "non destructively" towards the liner.
    Questions:
    1. Is it possible that the stripped slide is somehow out of tolerance?
    2. How could "light hammering" damaged the liner?
    3. Is there a way to verify the liner is in correctly?

Thanks!

You should not have had to hammer it to get it in.

And sure, could be out of spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    I just purchased a stripped TSD slide milled for RMR.
    Having never installed a firing pin channel liner before, I watched a few videos and then used a large diameter puch to push it into the slide. About 3/4 of the way I encountered some resistance and use a small mallet to lightly hammer it in the last few inches.
    When the time came to put in the firing pin assembly, I have to push it in the last 1/8" of an inch, and it doesn't "float" freely as it should.
    I examined the liner, and it looks OK, but I wonder if it's kinked or damaged? There is also appears to be some plastic marks in the channel where firing pin head is supposed to be.
    Since I don't have any spare liners, I am wondering if there is a way to trouble shoot the issue "non destructively" towards the liner.
    Questions:
    1. Is it possible that the stripped slide is somehow out of tolerance?
    2. How could "light hammering" damaged the liner?
    3. Is there a way to verify the liner is in correctly?

Thanks!
    Does the striker/firing pin tip protrude from the breach face if you push it forward? If so, and if you can then retract it my guess is that there is a good chance it will work. If you can't get the tip of the striker to protrude, then you've got a problem and are going to need to at least clean out the channel (try a pipe cleaner), and perhaps remove the liner and start afresh.

I removed the liner. The channel looks clean, but I don't know if it's sized correctly. I ordered a few more liners in addition to the Brownells liner tool. Also, are channel liners tapered or of equal width?

Thanks!

They are supposed to be a universal part.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    They are supposed to be a universal part.
    But they do have a specific direction of insertion, but you should not need to hammer it.

Sounds like an out of spec slide to me.
    #RESIST

They're a slightly tight fit, and a single channel liner fits every Glock model.

Note there's a slight taper at one end, making the tubular "lip" thinner on that end; that's the end that goes in toward the inner surface of the breechface. It can be tapped into place easily with a 5/16" nylon punch or dowel.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

I sent the whole thing back and simply bought OEM Glock slide. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
    I sent the whole thing back and simply bought OEM Glock slide. Problem solved.
    That makes me chuckle, given the rhetoric about TSD slides from their owner.
    #RESIST

User Tag List