Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Naked and afraid

Site Supporter

Naked and afraid

I’m a real fan of the show “NAKED AND AFRAID.” I was pretty well convinced that it was fairly legitimate and that the people really were experiencing the difficulties portrayed in the show. In the episode this screen shot was taken from, this pair had been in Nicaragua for a little over 2 weeks. In that time we saw them eat a few flowers, one snake, and one lizard. The commentator even commented that they had eaten the caloric equivalent of a “chicken nugget.”
    One wonders why the didn’t just tear into one of several bunches of bananas my wife spotted in the background. They were right next to a banana plantation after all.

But they're still green, they won't taste good yet.

Duh.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Most likely they were not allowed to eat them because the belonged to the plantation. I remember that on the first season of Survivor they were only allowed to kill and eat rats because they were not considered a native species. The show might have similar rules for the places they film. Imagine the outrage they would get if the filmed in a Chinese bamboo forest and they went all Tropic Thunder on a panda.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    But they're still green, they won't taste good yet.

Duh.
    Didn't think of that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    Most likely they were not allowed to eat them because the belonged to the plantation. I remember that on the first season of Survivor they were only allowed to kill and eat rats because they were not considered a native species. The show might have similar rules for the places they film. Imagine the outrage they would get if the filmed in a Chinese bamboo forest and they went all Tropic Thunder on a panda.
    I'd considered that they may have been for the camera crew, but you'd think they'd at least make sure there wasn't a food supply in the shot.

I have only caught a few episodes as they are on repeat but I have liked it a lot. I have watched the episode where retired Army SGM EJ Snyder was in Africa and got the infected thorn in his foot. Well I ran into him at the Atlanta Blade Show and he is the greatest guy and must have given us 30 mins of his time shootin the shit. He understands marketing and I did hear some inside dope about some stuff but I think its still a pretty legit challenge. He said the biggest surprise to him was how incredibly difficult truly primitive hunting is when you really have to do it starting out with nada.

Later found out he is close friends with a just retired SGM friend too.

I'm a fan.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Simplest explanation... bad decisions get made under stress.

People focus on weird things and miss obvious stuff. This is a good lesson for everyone - don't assume and be deliberate in your observations of the environment.

Eating a whole bunch of green fruit sounds like a bad idea when one doesn't have a lot of toilet paper. Just sayin.

Ha I just watched that episode and I never noticed that. They did walk out to a road and ride out on a truck full of bananas.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Me and my wife really like the show. It's the interaction between the couple that we like.

User Tag List