Thread: Blackwater Murder Trial Update

That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Buried exculpatory evidence? I'm having Rules of Engagement flashbacks...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

U.S. Attorney Ronald Machen says that "a series of innocent oversights" led to the problem.

It's a common prosecutors tactic...happens in a lot of trials.
    The penalty is less than a hand-slap...so they do it all the time.
    The penalty needs to be much higher...prosecutors get away with....well...you know.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    It's a common prosecutors tactic...happens in a lot of trials.
    The penalty is less than a hand-slap...so they do it all the time.
    The penalty needs to be much higher...prosecutors get away with....well...you know.
    Cody
    You are right about that. Sometimes, of course, it is just sloppiness, but you have to wonder about other times, and this is one of them. There is bound to be a lot of political pressure on the prosecutors to get a conviction in this case. I don't know enough to have a firm conclusion about what happened, but it is pretty clear that the State Department insisted on very intrusive and aggressive tactics to protect its employees, and thus State at least has an incentive to point at the Blackwater employees rather than the operating procedures it formulated or the chaos of a war that it has largely repudiated.

At times like these, you have to hope the prosecutors are able to put their obligation to pursue justice over their natural desire to win a case, and that might not have happened here.

User Tag List