Thread: Trajectory/laser/light strikes

Trajectory/laser/light strikes

Hi! I’ve owned a Tanfoglio Witness Match full size steel frame 45ACP for two years now. It’s been a great pistol but it took some work to get it there.
    The first issue I had was light strikes. I tried a variety of ammo but continued to have fail to fire issues.
    The problem turned out to be the firing pin and the auto safety built into the slide. The safety pin that contacts the body and blocks the firing pin had caused a metal fleck to be sheared off of the pin. Clearing this helped but after a few hundred more rounds the light strikes returned.
    The ultimate cure was the Henning firing pin. It’s longer, lighter and harder.
    I was not able to fit it and continue to use the auto slide safety so the stock safety pin, spring and firing pin creating the metal flecks were removed.
    I have not had a failure to fire since, so I feel very confident in the pistol now.
    The new Henning firing pin always slides free and easy when I test it with a punch.
    I also replaced the sear with a Henning sear which using a tip I found on the web was relatively easy. Cutting the shaft of a q-tip the same width as the sear to hold the spring while reinserting the sear was the key. I had to file the arm of the sear that intersects the safety lever to fit it properly.
    The trigger is crisp and the harder alloy should help keep that crispness longer.
    One issue I am still dealing with is sighting.
    I purchased a laser built into a 45ACP round. It projects a spot near were the bullet hits to the far right of the center straight line of the pistol frame. The pistol shoots far right. I clamped it and fired 27 rounds all to the right.
    I have had to adjust the rear sight all the way to the left to compensate.
    I can hit leaves floating in the stream 25 yards up and down from my position quickly turning from up to downstream so I feel confident in the pistol is acting as a natural extension of my arm. It hits what you point at.
    I would like the trajectory of the bullet to be parallel to the frame of the pistol.
    Would a barrel swap affect this?
    I have read that slight changes to the exit point at the muzzle and the rifling at that point can have a big impact on the direction the bullet leaves the barrel.
    Is there a guide to tweaking the barrel end/rifling to adjust the bullets trajectory as it leaves the barrel?
    With the rear sight adjusted to its extreme left the pistol is sighted but in darkness during quick fire I fall back to using the frame of the pistol to aim. I would like to have the trajectory parallel. There is also the aesthetics to consider. The rear sight looks pretty stupid cranked all the way to the left.
    I have purchased 7, 10 round magazines. None of them hold ten rounds. After breaking in they still will not fit 10 rounds. If you try the gun will jam as the 10th round is too tight in the magazine.
    I cut one coil from the magazine spring and shaved the base plate with the Dremel to achieve 10 rounds.
    The other issue is with laser/light options attached under the frame. All that I have purchased have failed by 50 rounds due to the shock of firing. The accessory rail pealed right through the plastic on one of the cheaper ones.
    Please recommend a red laser and a red laser/light combo you know will endure the shock of this pistol.
    Green lasers are ok for daylight but give away your position at night.
    Thanks!
    ~Kevin.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Kevin,

I might be misreading the situation, but it seems like you're chasing issues and finding kitchen-table remedies that might be better handled by the factory.

The light/laser combo in your photo appears to be one of those $30-$60 airsoft units from eBay. As you've found, units in that price range don't hold up to real recoil. Even if one were able to keep functioning, it's highly doubtful it would maintain any kind of useful zero. For a unit that's actually functional, you'll have to spend a lot more money. I've had good luck with a Streamlight TLR-2, but I know some here even consider those "too cheap" and will only use Surefire.

Given that, I suppose it's worth asking about your mags and sights. Are they factory? Aftermarket? Did you install the sights? Have other shooters used your pistol and confirmed sight alignment?

All due respect, but if you're asking for a guide on how to tweak your rifling/crown, you really have no business touching your rifling/crown. Unless some part of the story is missing, a pistol shooting that far to one side should go back to the factory.

Finally, I seriously hope the stream you mention is surrounded by some pretty high berms. Shooting at the surface of water (especially considering smooth stones likely to be found in a stream) can produce some really unpredictable angles of ricochet. Unless I'm misunderstanding, you're describing something very unsafe.
    "If you run into an a**hole in the morning, you ran into an a**hole. If you run into a**holes all day, you're the a**hole." - Raylan Givens

User Tag List