Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Attacked by a dog

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Substitute "Kids" for "Dogs" and it still works for many people I see today.
    My wife's friend's kid bit me in the inner thigh. Unprovoked attack just like a bad dog. I'm glad he didn't get me anywhere more important. Still hurt like crap.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

O. M. G. Yanky dogs are one of the four reasons I think we should bring back public hangings.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I think most people are clueless about how to actually train or deal with dogs, they "just want one", but don't really "get" them. They seem to think its a miracle or a wonder when someone has a well mannered dog.
    Agree, except I don't think there's any "getting" that needs to happen. I've seen total idiots turn "bad dogs" around by buying a book and following the instructions, and I believe almost any book would do because the secret ingredient (as with most things) is to just put in the work. An undisciplined dog is 100% correlated with an undisciplined owner.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    BE VERY CAREFUL SHOOTING PEOPLE DOG'S.

I have no qualms shooting someone (again) over a dog, especially on my property, and I know I am not alone.

Check PMs. No profanity. No name calling.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 08-17-2014 at 03:32 PM.

Back in 2003 I was taking my 6yr daughter for a walk when 3 black Chow's started to sneak up on us. One was acting like a cat crawling on it belly. They started to run towards us I picked up my daughter and started to draw my S&W6906 that I carry IWB. As soon I my hand reached the grip the owner open her front screen door and yelled at them. They stop the attack right on the spot thank God.

There was another time I was walking home at night and a dog kept following me nipping at my heels! At that time I carried a Colt 191/Mustang 380 and mace

So I gave the dog a good spray in the face. He kept at me so I sprayed him 3 more times. The mace just didn't work so I kicked him and that got his attention and he left me alone.
    BTW I no longer carry mace
    Last edited by Rich; 09-03-2014 at 02:03 PM.

I keep hearing about Chow attacks. Odd how they don't make the media that much.
    #RESIST

OP, under the circumstances described I think you made the right decisions. Using lethal force would have turned an unpleasant experience into an unnecessarily traumatic one for all concerned.

I hope the bite heals quickly.

Site Supporter
    This is sort of on topic:
    http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-dog-shooting/
    (Not posting this to beat up on cops -- but it does seem some real mistakes were made. In particular, the CDA police department's initial press-releases after the event were not good. I'm inclined to judge the after-events more harshly than the officer's spur of the moment decision. It does seem that they are taking some good accountability.)
    With regard to the OP, I agree that it sounds like you did the right thing.

Pug attacks are vicious too.

My x-spouse was animal control for over 20 years. I've seen her charm enraged pits into tail wagging, drooling babies. She always said the sneakiest dogs were chows and that would be the last breed she'd ever let in proximity to a child

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    My x-spouse was animal control for over 20 years. I've seen her charm enraged pits into tail wagging, drooling babies. She always said the sneakiest dogs were chows and that would be the last breed she'd ever let in proximity to a child
    It's to the point that most home insurance companies won't cover chows because of the liability they pose. I would never allow those dogs near my kids way to unpredictable.

User Tag List