Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Attacked by a dog

Site Supporter
    I'm quite fond of Dogs but I'll just leave this here:

http://www.kens5.com/story/news/nati...-say/13395563/

DETROIT — The Metamora, Mich., couple whose dogs killed a jogger last week are in the U.S. illegally and were facing imminent deportation at the time of the attack .........
    investigators said, that the two Cane Corsos — large dogs similar to bullmastiffs — charged Sytsma as he jogged after work, mauling him to death as he struggled with them in a ditch by the side of the road.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    BE VERY CAREFUL SHOOTING PEOPLE DOG'S.

I have no qualms shooting someone (again) over a dog, especially on my property, and I know I am not alone.
    Context is everything.

As an LEO, I've been involved in one dog shooting, however, I don't consider it the dogs fault. Went to a business to arrest the owner on a felony warrant for child molestation and his 18 year old son intentionally let two rotties go on us. Result was 357 SIG > pepper spray and the DA declined to file assault charges on the son. It sucked but we had no choice as we were inside a fenced yard with the dogs.

I've also filed a complaint against a local LEO who sprayed a dog in a fenced in yard while assisting on an arrest warrant. There was no reason to spray him. The dog was contained inside the fence and barking. He sprayed him through the fence and started laughing and taunting the dog.

Along those same lines, there is a trend here in TX, particularly in rural / semi rural areas of idiots who think its fun to shoot dogs in fenced yards and/or in yards on tethers. I have no qualms shooting one of these people.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    With it's jaws around my arm, I took it to the ground, and repeatedly punched it in the face with my support hand. That was just a distraction to the mutt, and it only stopped when I managed to get a knee on it's throat
    Quote Originally Posted by Salamander View Post
    The dog lunged at me, and I instinctively kicked it in the head, hard. It knocked the dog back a few feet but didn't stop it, the next very tense 30 seconds or so it just growled at me and and we stared each other down and then it slowly backed away. Maybe I hurt it more than it looked like, but there was no visible physical damage to the dog.
    Similar experience. Good idea on the knee to the throat, pretty much the same action as a lift-off.

I kicked a pitt in the head for what felt like 2 minutes straight. I was wearing safety toe boots, too, and it didn't seem to care. I was completely gassed by the end of it. At some point it just decided to stop, ever so non-chalantly, and go away.

I'm entirely convinced that if I don't have a tool, I will not be able to stop a large dog from killing me if it's intent on such.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    At some point it just decided to stop, ever so non-chalantly, and go away.
    Same thing in my experience. After it finally released my arm, I continued to kneel on it's neck. Rather suddenly, the angry, hateful breathing turned into long, calm breaths. I let up and the dog quietly walked back into the house.

You know how they say owners and their dogs are alike? Well my wife has this same temperament.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Context is everything.

I've also filed a complaint against a local LEO who sprayed a dog in a fenced in yard while assisting on an arrest warrant. There was no reason to spray him. The dog was contained inside the fence and barking. He sprayed him through the fence and started laughing and taunting the dog.
    I love dogs [hence my username] and hope there never comes a time when I'm forced to shoot one. I run in the hills near my home several times each week with coyotes, foxes and loose dogs of all varieties nearby. I'm generally unconcerned. In all these years I've been endangered enough to consider shooting a dog only a few times and only refrained from pulling the trigger on one of those occasions because the dog had a small child dangling from his jaws and I didn't have a good shot.

HCM's comments above reminded me of something I read about recently.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=30379587&fm=...icle-related-2

Internal Affairs detectives are investigating why a police officer shot and killed a dog that was in its own backyard in Sugar House.
    Last edited by threedogdad; 07-31-2014 at 09:15 PM.

Site Supporter
    I've been harassed by more loose dogs than I can remember. I jog multiple time during the week through my neighborhood in rural W. Texas. It brings out everything from roided-out pit bulls to ankle-biting chihuahas.

I've also been attacked 4 times by different dogs. One dog came very, very close (trigger staged, front sight focused, sights on head) to getting shot.

In this particular instance I was on a public road and the dog charged at me. I know body language of dogs very well. It was in kill mode, running towards me. I kicked it, hit it, and all at the same time was trying to escape and get distance. All this did was make to dog more aggressive. once I cleared the holster and pointed the pistol at the dog it stopped fighting. not sure why.

I talked to the owners and told them about the incident. They were clueless (typical). I asked them to restrain the dog nicely, and courteously.

The next day no change. day after no change.

I finally called the police and the animal control officer flat told me to have no hesitation in using lethal force if it is that bad. The officer formally warned the owner that they will be cited and the have the dog taken if not restrained. problem solved.

shooting a dog on the move is a tough shot. really tough. especially on the move and changing direction. in a neighborhood, you are risking getting someone else shot.

It happens fast. very fast. you are jogging, then you here scuttling and clicking of nails, then you hear growling, then all you see are teeth.

In my circumstance--just out jogging--I am not fond of having to carry some load out of increasingly lethal force just to be nicer to people's precious dogs.

People think they know their dog, and wouldn't harm anyone--until it does. I'm at this point, at a level of zero tolerance and zero patience for aggressive dogs.

There is no reason why people can't peaceably traverse a road without being harassed by any dog. I can honestly see why, now, police are often quick to the trigger when it comes to dogs.

I am a dog owner and a pet lover...but loose and aggressive dogs I am not fond of.

Vicious dogs are one of the main reasons I carry. I personally feel I am more likely to encounter an attack from a stray, feral, vicious dog than another human. I have only encountered one, while hunting on my Uncle's farm. It was large, standing in the middle of nowhere in the woods, and snarling….I felt no remorse when I put it down.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    BE VERY CAREFUL SHOOTING PEOPLE DOG'S.

I have no qualms shooting someone (again) over a dog, especially on my property, and I know I am not alone.
    I did read a story a while back where a guy was involved in a pretty lengthy legal battle with a murder charge after shooting a dog.

The owner became angry and attacked him and....well it was a murder charge so you know the rest. Unarmed attacker, armed defender, and Hooch got whacked.

I'd be hesitant killing somebody's dog in front of them too.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post

shooting a dog on the move is a tough shot. really tough. especially on the move and changing direction. in a neighborhood, you are risking getting someone else shot.
    Stand, don't run. Get that sight picture instead of trying to shoot on the move.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I'm quite fond of Dogs but I'll just leave this here:

http://www.kens5.com/story/news/nati...-say/13395563/
    I'm sure Labs raised by the same couple would have done the same thing. Because no dog breeds are more likely to attack.....
    #RESIST

User Tag List