Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Attacked by a dog

It doesn't sound like you had very much time to react. Especially on a dog that has already decided to bite. I think climbing in your Jeep was probably the best option. You have high ground and your boots could be used.

Most of my dog encounters take place at night and they are often more focused on my partner then me. I've found a bright flashlight beam to the dog's eyes and a loud Pfui (all dogs understand Dutch right?) discourages a lot. Actually any stern command works but Pfui comes naturally to my tongue.

OC doesn't effect dogs like it does people but if you spraying a fog or a cone pattern the cloud discourages them because they don't see things like we do. The cloud is a solid object to them. Fire extinguishers work on the same principle.

I've worked with an Officer who used to be in animal control. He used his extended ASP as a pole to push dogs away. He told me any pole works. I have a snare that works well for that. Snaring a dog is a lot harder than it looks.

Tasers seem to be very effective as a deterrent. They definitely don't lock dogs up but the overwhelming majority seem to decide they need to be in the next county. The wires break off but they usually have no interest in coming back.

LSDDs and beanbags are very effective against dogs if you're working in a team environment.

Did you go to the ER for the bite? They are something that really needs to be cleaned out. It's something getting water with/out antiseptic flushing a puncture. Think a big syringe with a bowl attached to it. Punctures can get nasty. Lacerations are probably easier to clean. It's something to see water going in one puncture and flowing out another.

Here's a link for dog body language.
    http://www.poochpalspetcare.com/dogs-body-language/
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 07-27-2014 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Add link
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I consulted a friend who is a PA and I have flushed the wound and scrubbed the wound and began a round of antibiotic and will be watching it for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Ok rarely do I enter white. Maybe more than I care to admit to myself
    I think some self-reflection on reality is in order, because the idea that a person never (or rarely) goes condition white is pretty absurd.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I think some self-reflection on reality is in order, because the idea that a person never (or rarely) goes condition white is pretty absurd.
    I guess I should have said I normally pay closer attention to my surroundings and this time I had let my guard down.

It's pretty rare for a pet to do serious (as in, life-threatening or permanently disabling) damage to an adult, especially if the owner is there to dissuade them. I have no problem kicking, punching, maces, or tazing a dog, but I can't say I'd shoot one unless I thought it was going to seriously maul my pets or my kid. I've been bitten by a doberman before, although he didn't really latch on, and I've got a little scar on my arm but nothing worse than that.

I guess, postmen manage to do their jobs without shooting dogs, I think in the majority of situations you're ok with other countermeasures.

Biggest thing is that in most cases, you just need to buy time. If the owners are anywhere in the vicinity they'll get the dog under control once they get to them. Trapped in the Jeep wouldn't be a bad spot, most likely - you can always drive away.

I worked for years around all kinds of dogs some very aggressive and can honestly say, I've never been bitten. I can't say what your best course of action was, but I've found if you can get the high ground you can keep the dog off of you by kicking/pushing with your feet, better to feed the dog some boot than leg? Just a thought.

I have shot dogs once before, three in one event. We were sitting on my sister's porch enjoying some iced tea and a loose pack of dogs charged into the yard, my sister grabbed my nephew (18 months at the time) as three pitbull mixes attacked and killed her 24 pound Maine Coon cat, before I could draw. I drew down and shoot all three of them while they were ripping the poor cat to shreds, it was pretty awful. I was a little surprised two of them didn't scatter when I shot the first, but what seemed like an eternity in my head was probably only an instant. I remember two things from that event one, if I'd been paying more attention I might have stopped them from charging into the yard, two, they grabbed the cat so fast and killed it so fast I was nearly frozen and if my family hadn't been there, I'm not sure I would have reacted.

The only other issues I've dealt with, with dogs is while running. In those cases, I found chasing dogs to typically be deterred by strong commands and maybe a good kick-shove to the head or a kick to the ribs.

-Rob

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I would have said the same thing yesterday
    Dude, that is a killer response to that comment.

I got bit at work a few years ago. I was charged from behind, no warning, just wham. I was surprised at how the extreme normalcy of the situation left me kind of mentally disarmed, despite being a pretty switched-on guy.

Anyway, about all you can really take from this is

A) you can't win 'em all, no matter how many people on the internet can, and
    B) you'd really rather not hurt a dog if you didn't absolutely have to.

I guess you could also try C) next time, maybe you'll try getting on top of the jeep? But who knows...maybe you'd be jumping onto the jeep, twist your knee, and be in way worse shape. I mean maybe it would have worked out way better...maybe worse.

Bottom line...you're basically fine; don't spend time second guessing yourself, and chicks dig scars, so win-win.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I would get medieval with the dog but shooting is still a last resort for me. I've been bit here and there; I survived.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I would get medieval with the dog but shooting is still a last resort for me. I've been bit here and there; I survived.
    +1, but I have to say, if I get the impression that this dog's been trained or even just accustomed to knock down drag out fighting, I might shoot before it got too ugly. Those dogs won't stop at a broken rib or three...

As for the op's original point on getting surprised by the dog, I wouldn't feel too bad... Just bad enough to take appropriate lessons. A similar surprise had me reconsider how I get in and out of cars and other changes. I'm always looking for easy, simple habits that tend to refocus my mind on the here and now, lord knows I need them!
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Watch that bite closely. Dog bites get bad infections easily. You didn't reach for your weapons because you froze, a perfectly natural reaction when being attacked by "man's best friend", it startles you into inaction for a few seconds. "This can't be happening." ANY animal will bite and attack, given the right provocations - fear, food, territory. The spray probably would have worked, even if it did get the owner, too. The BIG question is WHY? Why did the dog attack and will it do so again? That needs to be addressed immediately if you and the dog are both "out in public".

User Tag List