Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Attacked by a dog

Attacked by a dog

This morning I left Americus enroute to Richland to pick up my Dad to bring him back for church. Enroute I saw two friends in one of their parents driveway enjoying a girls weekend and both from out of state and looped back around to speak. I thought nothing of it. I got out and went to hung them when all of a sudden I hear her scream dog (don't remember its name just remember no) NO. Repeatedly she is screaming the dogs name and no. The dog is charging at me. I step back to my Jeep. Thinking it doesn't have a top. I didn't get in thinking that the last thing I want to be was pinned in a vehicle with an attacking dog. The dog began growling and snapping. I felt a bite on one leg and then it latched to my other leg. I knew then I had been bitten. The owner is apologizing and screaming at the dog. Eventually I sat in the Jeep while she contained it in the house. We doctored the wound and had a pleasant visit. I have a puncture wound and one wound that just barely didnt break skin. I came home and rinsed the wound and the bandage has soaked through. I am on antibiotics and advised to keep an eye on it.
    The strange thing was I was carrying my Glock 26 as well as a can of Sabre red OC spray. I was also wearing Ga boots. I simply screamed at the dog but went no further. I didnt think that kicking the dog would have done any more than make the dog mad. Spraying the dog would have probably gotten the owner and myself as well. Having a gun didnt cross my mind until it would been a matter of I was mad rather than defense. I was suprised honestly. I let my guard down. I never go into condition white. I never even thought of danger. When the attack came it came fast and in a vengence. Just typing this to process it. I do not blame the dog I assume she felt I was a threat and was protecting her owner.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    . I never go into condition white.
    Then you're a better man than me. Glad it's not too bad in the end.
    Ignore Alien Orders

What kind of dog and what size? Just spit balling here but I'll bet if it was 145 lbs of presa canario your immediate actions might have been more aggressive. Probably better how it went down that you go all non-standard response on it - IN THIS SPECIFIC SITUATION.

btw are south GA dogs exceptionally meaner on average?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Ok rarely do I enter white. Maybe more than I care to admit to myself

Sorry to hear this. I simply refuse to take a bite from a dog. Period. I'll shoot a dog without hesitation.

The dog was a nice size lab/blue tick mix.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Sorry to hear this. I simply refuse to take a bite from a dog. Period. I'll shoot a dog without hesitation.
    I would have said the same thing yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    What kind of dog and what size? Just spit balling here but I'll bet if it was 145 lbs of presa canario your immediate actions might have been more aggressive. Probably better how it went down that you go all non-standard response on it - IN THIS SPECIFIC SITUATION.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    So when do you shoot dogs? When you pull into a person's driveway uninvited and the dog comes out barking and growling, and the owner is trying to stop the dog? Is that when you shoot? Or do you wait 'til the dog lunges at you? Do you shoot chihuahuas and other anklebiters, or do you have a size limit you stick to?

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I would have said the same thing yesterday
    Maybe you realized that killing the dog wasn't appropriate (not to say you couldn't have at least done something a little more proactive to prevent being bit.)

Whether we like it or not, we can't go through life shooting everyone that looks like they might take a swing at us or every dog that shows it's teeth. Sure, if you let the other guy throw the first punch, you might get knocked down at hit your head on the curb and die. But you still can't shoot everyone that bows up on you. Same probably goes with dogs.

That pepper spray you had was probably the appropriate response in this case--that and putting the vehicle between you and the threat. Also you could get in or on top of your vehicle; at that point if the dog continues the attack, then a lethal response becomes more palatable...
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

In a situation such as you describe, with a dog as you describe, I would take a bite or two while attempting to get away, kick or spray before shooting the dog.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List