Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Attacked by a dog

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I agree about the OC spray. I'm now carrying a 2 oz can of Fox on my runs. FYI it works on both ends of the dog.
    Gross but good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I agree about the OC spray. I'm now carrying a 2 oz can of Fox on my runs. FYI it works on both ends of the dog.
    Lmao, I just flashed on the morning after a hot chili eating contest I was in years ago. OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    Lmao, I just flashed on the morning after a hot chili eating contest I was in years ago. OUCH!
    Yup. I had the chance to try that approach out during a nasty dogfight. I couldn't get to the head without spraying the other dog, so I sprayed the aggressor under the tail. He stopped fighting right away and ran in circles.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

So everyday I take my three Jack Russells for a good 2-3 mile walk after work and pretty much walk the same route everyday, my dogs are like my kids to me.

Yesterday we turned the corner to go up a road which is part of our route and out of the corner of my eye, kind of in my blind spot, I see this guy coming out of his driveway and I just catch a glimpse of a dog, they approximately 20 - 30 yards from me and there is a car between us and them, parked outside his property, so I take a mental note of it and carry on walking up the road, now unseen from this guy and the people in the car he was going to speak too.

I'm a good 40-50 yards up the road, when instinct tells me to turn around and there are two BIG rottweilers approaching myself and my three JR (who are all on leads). The dogs are shoulder to shoulder, with serious intent.

I yelled at them immediately but they kept advancing. I didn't have a stick or my pepper spray (which was in my car). The first thing that went through my head was I can kick the one dog in the face, but the other one will either attack me or my JR's. The other problem with the kicking was that I had to hold onto my dogs and I could fall over their leads. I'm six foot and 190lbs and do martial arts training four times a week, but still felt 'outgunned' by these two BIG rottweilers. I will do what it takes to protect my family and my JR's are part of it.

The dogs kept advancing and I could hear the owner calling them, but he was nowhere to be seen, I kept shouting at them and placed myself between my JR's and them. When the dog were 10 yards from me a drew my FA. The first thing that went through my head was that I didn't want to kill either of the dogs or allow them to get close enough to me to be within biting range.

I fired a shot into the pavement next to them when they were five yards away and they finally turned around and ran back to the owner who suddenly made an appearance after the shot was fired.

The owner became extremely aggressive and went and fetched his FA. I somehow managed to deescalate the situation, as I knew I was in predicament with him, his visitors and two dogs and I would have to start doing things I really didn't want too. I'm 34, he was in his early 50's and yet he was trying to antagonize me to react.

He didn't advance on me but stood 40-50 yards away threatening me etc. I told him that I was not interested in dealing with his crap. One of the dogs again tried to advance on me but then the jerk called it back.

If he advanced so much as 5 yards it would have been on.

Now I have a million things going through my head with regards to if I could have handled the situation differently...

Man, that's a tough situation but it sounds like you didn't have any choice. Some jurisdictions frown upon "warning" shots like that, though I can appreciate your restraint. Also, I would probably call the police as soon as I felt safe enough to do so.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeroptsdown View Post

I'm a good 40-50 yards up the road, when instinct tells me to turn around and there are two BIG rottweilers approaching myself and my three JR (who are all on leads). The dogs are shoulder to shoulder, with serious intent.

I yelled at them immediately but they kept advancing. I didn't have a stick or my pepper spray (which was in my car). The first thing that went through my head was I can kick the one dog in the face, but the other one will either attack me or my JR's. The other problem with the kicking was that I had to hold onto my dogs and I could fall over their leads. I'm six foot and 190lbs and do martial arts training four times a week, but still felt 'outgunned' by these two BIG rottweilers. I will do what it takes to protect my family and my JR's are part of it.

The dogs kept advancing and I could hear the owner calling them, but he was nowhere to be seen, I kept shouting at them and placed myself between my JR's and them. When the dog were 10 yards from me a drew my FA. The first thing that went through my head was that I didn't want to kill either of the dogs or allow them to get close enough to me to be within biting range.

I fired a shot into the pavement next to them when they were five yards away and they finally turned around and ran back to the owner who suddenly made an appearance after the shot was fired.

The owner became extremely aggressive and went and fetched his FA. I somehow managed to deescalate the situation, as I knew I was in predicament with him, his visitors and two dogs and I would have to start doing things I really didn't want too. I'm 34, he was in his early 50's and yet he was trying to antagonize me to react.
    yeah...sometimes the dog owners are worse than the dogs.

Folks who act casually about letting their 150 lb guard dog (or dogs) loose in the front yard, unsupervised, are unintentionally asking for a situation to escalate possibly to deadly force or worse if a small child or elderly person is the target of the dog's attention.

Your situation is tough. I don't think I could envision going hands-on with one Rottweiler much less two. you tried to get the dogs to retreat. they kept advancing. I've been in this situation more than a dozen times just this year and the dog is always up to no good.

I was like you...nothing but my edc pistol. now I keep some spray and a telescoping baton for dogs. the gun is for my absolute last possible option against either the dog or dog owner.

I personally would not have done a warning shot. I could see keeping the weapon in a ready position or similar.

these cops almost got their hand and arm chewed for playing too nice with a dog (ironically a Rottweiler...fast forward to 3 min mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h3N...has_verified=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnTJJfJLfo0

my recommendation is to deploy the spray early to keep the situation from going to deadly force.

After watching those videos and one or two recommended videos I think I made the only decision I could under the circumstances and it was the right one.

What struck me was the total and utter fearlessness of the two dogs as they approached me, it clicked on my fight instinct for sure and I was mentally preparing myself for serious SHTF stuff. I would sooner fight with both rottweilers than let one of my dogs get attacked.

It has really been bugging me since it happened yesterday, but those videos show you how quickly things can happen and I will never think the cops over react if they shoot an aggressive dog again.

Coincidently when the 'owner' of the dogs could not get me into a gun fight with him he called the cops to report me for discharging a FA in a public area, being good old SA, they never showed up, I was hoping they would as I had a couple of witnesses that came out and saw his dogs roaming around after the initial incident.

I have been trying to decide if I should go lay charges against the guy and get the SPCA etc involved or to just leave it and carry on with life.

Our 'justice system' does not function as well as yours, with all our murders etc the police let things like this just gather dust in the corner. They would rather (prioritize) investigate a murder than an altercation that occurred in the street about dogs, which is sad, but the reality.

Thanks for your responses, I enjoy this forum for the level headed mature commentary.

Site Supporter
    Due to liability issues there is a predjudice against warning shots here in the states buy i believe it accomplished what you needed to, deterring the attack against yourself and your dogs.

Having previously had the son of a child molestation suspect intentionally release two Rottweilers on my partners and myself I can tell you here in the states this is clearly considered a deadly force situation.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeroptsdown View Post
    After watching those videos and one or two recommended videos I think I made the only decision I could under the circumstances and it was the right one.

What struck me was the total and utter fearlessness of the two dogs as they approached me, it clicked on my fight instinct for sure and I was mentally preparing myself for serious SHTF stuff. I would sooner fight with both rottweilers than let one of my dogs get attacked.
    Indeed. In my experience when the dog doesn't break off and is staring you down your alert level should spike.

It has really been bugging me since it happened yesterday, but those videos show you how quickly things can happen and I will never think the cops over react if they shoot an aggressive dog again.
    Absolutely. Just as people should be able to traverse a public road without being menaced or attacked by dogs, so should cops be able to go home at end of shift without being mauled.

Coincidently when the 'owner' of the dogs could not get me into a gun fight with him he called the cops to report me for discharging a FA in a public area, being good old SA, they never showed up, I was hoping they would as I had a couple of witnesses that came out and saw his dogs roaming around after the initial incident.
    I'd let the dust settle on this one. It will be he said-she said at this point.

And be judicious about using the firearm. If an officer shows up to an incident with two dead dogs, and a dead dog owner, with you prevailing over them, most officers are going to have to question you vigorously...you may be able beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride.

Our justice system may work better than in SA but folks here are litigious to the point of absurdity.

In all I try to let things play out a bit more before I jump straight to bullets.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Will gave to come have a braai (barbecue) in Texas!

User Tag List