Thread: Docs vs. Glocks Case a win for Gun Rights

Docs vs. Glocks Case a win for Gun Rights

Doctors are not allowed to ask patients or potential patients whether they own or use guns.

http://america.aljazeera.com/article...-v-glocks.html
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Doctors are not allowed to ask patients or potential patients whether they own or use guns.
    ...in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    ...in Florida.
    This is actually a good law, and it should spread. Doctors, as a group, know nothing about guns. However, they are being told that they can be sued if they don't ask these questions and some patient later goes nuts. "Doctor X was negligent in not warning the shooter that guns can be dangerous and should be kept locked up and not used to massacre school children."

By preventing doctors from asking a question beyond their professional competence, Florida keeps them from being sued. In other words, it is a pro-physician law, although the left-wing staffers at doctors' organizations who come up with these policies in the first place will deny it.

Meanwhile, the ACLU continues its long standing policy of refusing to recognize the right to keep and bear arms as a "civil liberty." Funny how it picks and chooses which parts of the bill of rights are really civil liberties and which are obsolete and should be disregarded. It['s almost as if the ACLU leadership doesn't care about the Bill of Rights and instead simply wants to impose its leadership's odd political notions on the rest of us.

Hmmm. I was a bit surprised when I took my now-toddler in for a checkup and the doctor mentioned making sure any guns were locked up, and it's been repeated at every checkup since. But it was mentioned in the same way as having gates at staircases, locks on cabinets, and other childproofing. I have no problem with that kind of safety reminder, especially in light of the number of tragedies within the past few years involving very young children coming across guns. What's common sense for some people doesn't seem to enter the minds of others, it's at least worth a shot to reach those people. Being asked as part of a patient screening or whatnot is a different story. If the priority is education, it seems the interrogation shouldn't be necessary in the first place. You can be instructed to keep household chemicals away from children without being asked if you own bleach.

Site Supporter
    Regular checkup about 2 years ago...

Doc: Obama says I'm supposed to ask you about guns in the house, but since this is Texas, I assume you have guns. If not, let me know and I'll write you a prescription.
    Me: Do you think my Rx plan will cover that?
    Doc: I'm not sure, but we can try.

A few months ago, reminding my kids what so say if asked during their checkups.

Me: Remember kids, if the doctor asks you whether there are guns in your house, what are you supposed to say?
    Kids (in unison): "My dad said to tell you (Doc) that it's none of your damn business"
    <so proud >
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Regular checkup about 2 years ago...

Doc: Obama says I'm supposed to ask you about guns in the house, but since this is Texas, I assume you have guns. If not, let me know and I'll write you a prescription.
    Me: Do you think my Rx plan will cover that?
    Doc: I'm not sure, but we can try.
    Doc, I'm running low on ammo. A script for 5000 x 9mm and 1000 x .308 will work nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Awesome, one more reason to move to Texas! With a prescription, should be able to use my FSA. Between that and no state income tax, I could've saved quite a bit of money over the years.

User Tag List