Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: FBI to adopt 9 mm pistols

Extremely interesting thread.

I found Mr. Boone's statement outstanding: "You know, carrying that but not consistently shooting 98-100 is kind of like driving your Daddy's Corvette but stalling at the traffic light cause you really don't know how to work a clutch."

It's statements like that that make me recommit to my training regimen.

With the timing of the VP9 and to a lesser extent, the P320 - this may be interesting.

Seems like Glock has all classes of pistol covered from the start... And they wouldn't require retraining of agents on a new platform or recertification of armorers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Seems like Glock has all classes of pistol covered from the start... And they wouldn't require retraining of agents on a new platform or recertification of armorers.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Seems like Glock has all classes of pistol covered from the start...
    Up until how ambidextrous a design is and the Glock doesn't have dual slide catch levers like the H&K, Sig P320, or M&P.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

FBI to adopt 9 mm pistols

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    Up until how ambidextrous a design is and the Glock doesn't have dual slide catch levers like the H&K, Sig P320, or M&P.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    Reversible mag catch and sling shot or powerstroke method. Along with a much longer track record.
    Last edited by Sigfan26; 07-25-2014 at 08:09 PM.

That a viable alternative for forwarding the slide is of little value if the details of the request require it. I've always thought that it was a brilliant move to put dual levers on the M&P. Anyone who wants to swing the contract in a certain direction can add the requirement. In this day and age of equality, Glock's failure to have a really small grip option and an ambi slide release is major potential poison. I don't think any judge would find the requirement to be lefty friendly anything but a positive.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just explaining how the game is played.

Edited to add:
    Combine the requirement of an ambi slide catch lever with a requirement that the pistol disassemble without pulling the trigger and Glock is completely out. This "feature" is mentioned in the literature of both the M&P and the P320.
    Last edited by John Hearne; 07-25-2014 at 08:22 PM.

This makes sense to me. Modern hollow point loads make the 9mm a perfectly fine round (it is what I carry), and training will be easier and cheaper. But as a taxpayer I hope they phase it on over an extended time. Those who prefer already are allowed to carry a 9, and the 180 grain load they use for the .40 doesn't kick that hard. So let new classes go all 9 and keep the .40 for the guys who already have it. Rightly or wrongly many agents will want to keep the .40 anyway, and a top-down, one-size-fits-all approach doesn't make a lot of sense for an agency as large as the FBI.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    That a viable alternative for forwarding the slide is of little value if the details of the request require it. I've always thought that it was a brilliant move to put dual levers on the M&P. Anyone who wants to swing the contract in a certain direction can add the requirement. In this day and age of equality, Glock's failure to have a really small grip option and an ambi slide release is major potential poison. I don't think any judge would find the requirement to be lefty friendly anything but a positive.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, I'm just explaining how the game is played.
    Just saying, if they wanted it, it would have probably been listed.

IIRC, the 9mm is an option for those who struggle with the 40 S&W. There are two bullet weights in 40 S&W on the current contract, a 165gr and a 180 gr. There are two 9mm options but from different manufacturers - both 147 gr bonded IIRC.

User Tag List