Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed strip setup and weak hand reload.

Speed strip setup and weak hand reload.

Mods. Please move this thread if it's in the wrong place.

So the reason I started this thread is I recently purchased a 642 for carry as a bug and sometimes a primary. Since my purchase I have realized that my general lack of experience and training presents a serious disadvantage for me when carrying a wheel gun. Therefore I have been spending a significant amount of time practicing weapons handling/manipulation, dry firing and speed strip reloads. After playing around with various speed strips I settled on the Quickstrip which holds 8 rounds. I selected this speed strip because it allows me to run two rounds and then an empty slot which provides an excellent index point regardless of how the speed strip winds up facing in my pocket. (I do not like the scalpel hold technique using a speed strip of 5). Presently I am playing with two variations though I like the 2x2x2 setup vs the 2x3x1 better. Here is a photo of the two setups.

I have been practicing loading WHO, SHO and two handed using weak hand to load and strong to manipulate the gun and vice versa. During practice I have found I prefer to use my weak hand to manipulate the ammunition and my strong to manipulate the gun and position the cylinder. I wasn't blessed with three or four arms so I snapped a few photos sans the weak hand to aid imagining how I am running my reloads. Here they are using a 2x2x2 setup on the Quickstrip.

Here is a photo of a rough index out of a pocked on the draw with my weak hand

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

I like this technique a lot because I only have to rotate the cylinder one time counter clock wise minimizing manipulation and also allowing me to run a quick two if I need to and close on an empty cylinder with the next being a live round. I can do this almost every time, even in the dark without thinking or being able to see. For me, I find it very intuitive.

When carrying the 642 as a primary I carry two speed strips one in my right front pocket and one in the left. Only one speed strip when it's a bug. With this information my question to the hive mind is how do you setup your speed strip, where and how many do you carry? Lastly what is your method for loading and why? I would also like to know if anyone sees any error with my technique or if there are other ways to economize my movement when loading. I appreciate any input as I am just now really trying to learn the basics of handling and running a wheel gun in a defensive capacity.

Let me preface my comments by saying that I have been "running" a J frame snubby of one sort or another in limited training and qualifications since 1978; mainly using Speed Strips, the original Bianchi variety.

I applaud your approach to this, but IMHO you're WAY over-thinking it... although there is some reason to get deeper into it if you're carrying the snubby as a primary.

I have always "loaded to capacity" on the Bianchi units. I understand the reasoning some have for staggering/leaving an empty spot/etc., but I like the extra bullet because the odds of pulling one back out during the loading process are good. I just fit a finger between them and load two at a time. And I have never tried the higher-capacity strips because the several belt pouches I have to carry a snubby reload will only fit the Bianchi six-rounder.

The issue I have with your experiments is this: discovering what works best for each individual carry mode is good, but unless you're going to carry the thing ONE way only, you'll end up confusing yourself, I fear.

Something else to consider is, how will you carry your chosen loader? Loose in a pocket, its bound to shift around to the point that you may not grab it in the same orientation as you're expecting. In the belt pouch, that won't happen.

Anyway... definitely not criticizing your efforts, just offering some thoughts.

I run a Bianchi speed strip with four rounds, fastest way I have found to use a strip for the reload.

I run a Bianchi strip with 6 rounds loaded, because sometimes the gun I have is a 5-shooter and sometimes a 6-shooter. Regardless, my opinion on the speed strip, they are not a primary reload tool, I use a speed strip like I would a 2x2x2 pouch or a set of cartridge loops, they are for topping off a partially empty gun aka tactical revolver reload. For primary reloads, I focus solely on speed loaders for revolvers of all sizes. My usual carry is two speed loaders for the revolver and a speed strip in the back strong side pocket behind the wallet.

Re: the spacing technique, I have never found this to work for me, because it requires repositioning the weak hand during the reload. If lock down the tab of a strip with the ring finger into the palm, I can dump all of the rounds and only have to move my thumb. Anything that requires me to move my hand around almost always results in my dropping it during stress.

-Rob

PS: Glad to see those CTCs are working for you man!

LSP972, I very well could be over thinking it but when I run the 642 as a primary when biking/running or a quick trip to the local stop and rob I would prefer to have as much worked out as possible. Fail to plan, plan to get your 4th POC handed to you. As to your thoughts on running capacity and possibly pulling one back out during reload I can see that happening, especially under stress though I haven't experience it yet. That is why I wanted the setup I have now which it gives me an extra round if I botch something.

Thanks for the thoughts on running a pouch or something to keep orientation. I am presently kicking around the idea I saw on another forum using the pocket shield to help accomplish this. For now I don't mind carrying the strip loose in my pocket. With the length and width there isn't much room in my pockets to shift though I still want to get this worked out soon. I agree with what you are saying about keeping things the same. This along with what Mr. Haggard was saying has lead me to stick with a 2x2x2 format. Easy for me to index on the fly in the dark or low visibility, allows me to run two and go or four and go very quickly. Lots of options and simplicity which I believe helps with speed. Stripping the rounds off into the cylinder is also easier for me this way and reduces risk of pulling one out as long as I strip the rounds off vertically.

Mr. Haggard or LSP972 where do either of you typically carry your reload when in civvies? Have either of you given thought about using a pocket shield to keep orientation? I saw someone using one with what looked like a loop on a belly band they were able to use it for a speed strip or a mag so its dual usage which I think makes a lot of sense for me. Helps me reduce the gear and keep consistency for my reloads whether running an auto or revolver regardless of attire. Thank you for the input so far it is very helpful.

Mr. Haggard I also want to say thank you to you and the others here for leaning me towards the 642. You all were right, with the cash I saved I was able to snatch up some laser grips from another member here and get lots of snap caps and ammo. The feedback from the laser grips are extremely helpful when dry firing and I can already see some benefits of shooting and dry firing the revolver transfer over to other platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    ...the speed strip, they are not a primary reload tool, I use a speed strip like I would a 2x2x2 pouch or a set of cartridge loops, they are for topping off a partially empty gun aka tactical revolver reload. For primary reloads, I focus solely on speed loaders for revolvers of all sizes. My usual carry is two speed loaders for the revolver and a speed strip...
    I agree, though I carry just one speedloader.

The Safariland Comp I gets used first if my 649 goes empty.
    If I need more than that, I also have a loaded (6 rounds) Speedstrip too, but would truly hope never to need it.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Mike, on positioning of speed loaders/strips - Depends on how you're carrying. If the gun is in a pocket in a good pocket holster, I find that a speed loader can be dropped down behind the holster (closer to the opening of the pocket) and the pocket holster will keep the loader in place while you move around. I know a lot of folks will scream bloody murder, "Nothing goes in the pocket with the pocket holstered gun!". With a good molded pocket holster (leather/kydex), I don't worry about the loader being in the same pocket, it stays well below and behind the trigger, even while jogging in cargo shorts, little to no risk of it jumping up, it's a chance I'm willing to take to keep a fast revolver reload around. You might look at the pocket holster QuikStrip offers for an idea of what I mean, behind and below the bulk of the gun, you can hide a reload. I've thought over the years of making pocket holsters that held speed loaders as well, but have never got to it.

RE pocket shield: I have some ideas for these I'll be sharing with you guys soon. Unfortunately the various bits of gear I need to try these ideas out are all packed away for my impending doom...err move.

-Rob

Sorry Rob I took so long to type out my post I didn't see your reply the first time. Thanks for the CT's, I absolutely love them. I have to get out and buy some batteries because I have been dry firing so much I think the battery will crap out soon.

As for the speed strip I know that they are not as fast as a speed loader but for low profile carry I don't think that you can beat them. I am checking out the Quickstrip holsters now thanks for the recommendation. I don't think I will ever use one except for in an outer coat pocket as a secondary during the winter but they are worth a look. I prefer not to pocket carry because I don't think it would be possible to access if I ended up hands on with someone. Plus its pain to access when seated, at least for me. I look forward to what you'll post about the pocket shields. I think those things are awesome. I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Rob do you ever run a revolver AIWB? If so where to you run your speed loader? Is there anything that allows the speed loader to straddle the belt line to reduce the profile, or is there another way that is better? Sorry, I feel like I am asking a bunch of dumb questions but I feel like this is the best place to get answers.

I'm going to go along with LSP here. This should be a simple and easy process and if it isn't we need to address why it isn't. There are a few basic techniques that have sort of become standardized over the years because extensive experimentation has found they work. No need to re-invent the wheel. IMO. For me, I use the standard Bianchi strips, load them with 6, hold the cylinder in my left hand and put two rounds at a time into the empty cylinder. If I'm carrying a speed strip it either goes into an old Tex Shoemaker belt pouch or more often the watch pocket of my jeans. YMMV.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Check out Michael de Bethencourt at snub training.com. He has some very well thought out ideas on this.

User Tag List