Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How often, and why, do you change up your primary pistol generally

How often, and why, do you change up your primary pistol generally

I flirt with other stuff and will carry it occasionally, but I switched from Glock to 1911 in 1997. The occasional dalliances always bring me back. Which means little except to say, don't divest yourself of your original platform.
    Ignore Alien Orders

As infrequently as possible.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    In '04 I went from a melange of guns, but mostly a Glock 29, to carrying a 5" steel 1911 every day. I switched to the M&P9 in the summer of '11 and have carried it since.

I have gotten more relaxed about shooting other guns for fun, though. Towards the end of my M1911-carrying years I wouldn't shoot anything but a 1911 or DA Smith wheelgun because I was all serious and stuff.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Banned
    Howdy,

Not counting handguns that I was assigned to carry on the job, I carried a 5" steel framed 1911A1 from Jan. 1982 until Aug. 2005.

August 2005 to present time: Glock 23

I first started carrying in Jan. '82 and since then I have carried everything from an suppressed Ruger MKII, suppressed Walther P22,
    AMT .380 Backup, Dan Wesson .357Mag, a Devel customized S&W 39 9mm, S&W Model 15, 36, 60, and 1006 and many others. Heck, I've even carried a scoped, Mag-na-ported Ruger Super Blackhawk .44Mag w/ 10 1/2" barrel.

Currently my EDC is a Glock 23 but I sometimes carry a G20, G35, a steel framed 5" 1911A1, Kel-Tec PF-9, a comped Bulgy 9mm Makarov, or a Taurus PT-845 45acp. Just depends on my mood.

I never understood the "1 gun, 1 carry" line of thinking.

Paul

I've changed my primary carry platform twice since I started taking my shooting/carry seriously 14 years ago.
    Started with a Walther P99 in 2000.
    Switched to a Glock 17 (and Glock 26) around 2003.
    Went to the P2000 (and P2000SK) in 2008.
    I've used many other pistols in training, competition and for fun but those are the pistols that have lived on my headboard and spent the most time in my holster.
    I also have secondary carry guns for NPE like my PM9, PPS and 442 j-frame, but all three of these "feel" like my LEM H&K's while shooting.

There's no way I'd have a "rotation" of guns with completely different manuals of arms like a DA/SA Sig, thumb safety 1911 and a paddle mag release LEM H&K for carry.
    I want my carry gun to be consistently simple.
    Last edited by JodyH; 08-06-2014 at 12:22 PM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

Not counting handguns that I was assigned to carry on the job, I carried a 5" steel framed 1911A1 from Jan. 1982 until Aug. 2005.

August 2005 to present time: Glock 23

I first started carrying in Jan. '82 and since then I have carried everything from an suppressed Ruger MKII, suppressed Walther P22,
    AMT .380 Backup, Dan Wesson .357Mag, a Devel customized S&W 39 9mm, S&W Model 15, 36, 60, and 1006 and many others. Heck, I've even carried a scoped, Mag-na-ported Ruger Super Blackhawk .44Mag w/ 10 1/2" barrel.

Currently my EDC is a Glock 23 but I sometimes carry a G20, G35, a steel framed 5" 1911A1, Kel-Tec PF-9, a comped Bulgy 9mm Makarov, or a Taurus PT-845 45acp. Just depends on my mood.

I never understood the "1 gun, 1 carry" line of thinking.

Paul
    Many new shooters switch from pistol to pistol and never really learn the fundamentals. I think common sense says IF you are training with the pistol for self defense them perhaps that's a bad idea. If you have been shooting all your life it is easy to switch from one gun to the next without too much lose of skill. Plus that skill you do have is quick to learn the new system.
    Many shooters believe that sort of skill lose is unacceptable and don't do it. Will switching from a Glock to a 1911 kill you if you get in a gunfight the day of the switch? I don't know but forgetting to take off the safety might not be good? It just depends on the shooter and how you react to switching.
    I am one who forgets even during timed drills to take that safety off. I figure that had a good chance of happening in a gunfight too. So I don't switch. I try to stay with one gun. Obviously if you don't think that could happen to you then it might not be a worry for you. Just because you can do it doesn't mean I should do it. What doesn't kill you might kill me. I'm just saying.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

I like to think I don't switch often, but I do. Started OCing at 18 because I wasn't old enough to CC. OCed the only handgun I owned a Glock 22. By the time I was 20 I lived in a freer state for about 7 months where I could CC. At that time I usually carried an XDm 3.8c 40 or if that was too big a Sig 238. Once I turned 21 I finally got my CC permit. Started by carrying a Glock 27 and occasionally the XDm. Then a couple months later I got a G23, because I wanted something bigger than my 27, but smaller than the 22. I still used my Sig 238 for when the other guns were just too big. Now a little over a year later my G23 was my go to gun until I had to send it back to Glock due to reliability issues. I now own a G19 and just before sending the gun off to Glock I bought a Smith J-frame. It's amazing to me how many guns I've done through. Now that I have the 19 it's my go to with my 27 being used for when that's too big and my J frame for when both are too big.

Seems the big disconnect is how serious each person takes this carry thing.

On one end, there's the gun hipster who is just in it for the fun of having the neatest thing in the room. It's opposed by the super cereal tactical ninja operator who considers 'what if I switch guns and get in a gunfight that day' which for most of us is as likely as getting struck by lightning while winning the lottery.

There's a lot of middle between them, but not much middle ground. Personally, I only change when I find something better, and I'm always looking for better. But finding better, truly and actually better after a few cycles is really difficult. It's far easier to end up with something and claim it's the best, or bounce from one injection molded stamped metal cheap as possible gun to another.

Super cereal:

I quit switching when we started carrying 3rd gen S&Ws at work after having been carrying a wheelgun for awhile. The safety going up for bang had me giving up on 1911s because I didn't want to be at work, have to draw my duty gun, and have a confused thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post

There's a lot of middle between them, but not much middle ground. Personally, I only change when I find something better, and I'm always looking for better. But finding better, truly and actually better after a few cycles is really difficult. It's far easier to end up with something and claim it's the best, or bounce from one injection molded stamped metal cheap as possible gun to another.
    Sig line! Nice.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List