Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: White Light "Negligent Discharges"

I remain unconvinced that the average CCW person needs a WML outside of the house.

It's tough for bad guys to jack people when it's too dark to see them. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I remain unconvinced that the average CCW person needs a WML outside of the house.

It's tough for bad guys to jack people when it's too dark to see them. Just sayin.
    I agree with you. But when I go to bed, my CCW gun becomes my nightstand gun. I can see some benefit to having your go-to pistol being set up to be as versatile as possible.

Do you see any drawbacks to having a WML on a carry gun, other than the long odds of being needed?

Site Supporter
    I live out in 30 to 60 minute response times for police as well as large carnivores, I can envision my fight going or starting outside as well as showing up at my house to a fight where a light would be helpful. In general, urban areas with a lot of light pollution, the need diminishes.

C. Monster

100% agree. I don't carry concealed with a WML affixed. That's for home/campsite OWB carry. Pocket-clipped flashlight is the appropriate complement to the CCW weapons.
    Looking for a gun blog with AARs, gear reviews, and the occasional random tangent written by a hardcore geek? trevoronthetrigger.wordpress.com/
    Latest post: The Rogers Shooting School Experience (15 Jul 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    I agree with you. But when I go to bed, my CCW gun becomes my nightstand gun. I can see some benefit to having your go-to pistol being set up to be as versatile as possible.

Do you see any drawbacks to having a WML on a carry gun, other than the long odds of being needed?
    Size, holster fit, comfort, additional weapon length. Although the light extending past the muzzle does make a good stand-off for contact shots, that need also seems to be rare in CCW scenarios.

At home I have an extra pistol that has a light mounted all of the time. On the road I tend to just bring a light with me and snap it on my carry piece before going to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    I live out in 30 to 60 minute response times for police as well as large carnivores, I can envision my fight going or starting outside as well as showing up at my house to a fight where a light would be helpful. In general, urban areas with a lot of light pollution, the need diminishes.

C. Monster

I'd likely have a shotgun with a WML on it at home, no question. If you think having a WML on your CCW piece is a good idea then it's do-able.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN

"Need"? Naw. But I do think that being able to see better is rarely a bad thing.

(If it doesn't add any appreciable size or bulk to the gun, I like having the light on it. I realize that the CTC Lightguard isn't much of a "300-lumen-my-light-is-a-weapon-rawr" but it doesn't add any real weight or bulk to the gun and it could make my shooting more better under certain circumstances.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I'm using a toggle switch on my Surefire 300 PML. My NDs are nil. I actually prefer to use my flashlights as little as I can get away with. But I also have a four legged bad guy detector 6-15 feet ahead of me depending on the leash du jour and who we are looking for.

The white light NDs I usually deal with are usually the cover guy behind new backlighting the kitten out of me and my dog. This means I stop and say 1 the lights distracts the dog and he stops using his nose 2 you are backlighting me and the dog 3 use your light only if you need to identify something. Most patrol guys don't like searching in low light conditions.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I'm using a toggle switch on my Surefire 300 PML. My NDs are nil. I actually prefer to use my flashlights as little as I can get away with. But I also have a four legged bad guy detector 6-15 feet ahead of me depending on the leash du jour and who we are looking for.

The white light NDs I usually deal with are usually the cover guy behind new backlighting the kitten out of me and my dog. This means I stop and say 1 the lights distracts the dog and he stops using his nose 2 you are backlighting me and the dog 3 use your light only if you need to identify something. Most patrol guys don't like searching in low light conditions.
    What are the odds that you're being muzzled with an WML equipped weapon during these times?
    #RESIST

It depends who I have covering me. Most of the time the lights are going out to my left or right. That is one reason I prefer having SWAT guys covering me. The odds are low then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List