Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock struggles

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    I think the highlights have already been hit. Go back to a stock configuration iwith stock springs. And replace the spring and follower in the magazines. Use a fairly good factory round. If it still messes up, have a friend try it and see if it does the same thing with him. If so, get it to an expert, either Glock, Inc or an advanced armorer.
    I guess that's the plan. I'm also going to try my loads in another gun to see how yet run (not exactly meaningful scientifically but it would be nice to know).

Thanks again all, I'll update as it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I am late to the party but I have had this type of jam with several Glocks. See if the extractor has a sharp edge on the bottom. I have had to stone several extractors. The top of the case rim gets caught on the bottom of the extractor hook and cartridge can't slide under it.

Ditto on the lateness.

First, make sure you're using a stock recoil spring that passes the recoil spring test.

Try a brand new magazine. The mag lips being to wide or the mag spring being too weak could do this. If a new magazine fixes it, you can check those two things on the old magazine. The spring can be replaced, but you should not attempt to fix the lips.

Make sure you're using the stock extractor, EDP, EDP spring, and spring loaded bearing. Check to make sure the extractor jaw is clean and undamaged, and do the same for the breechface, especially the area the extractor jaw covers. The rim of the cartridge could be having difficulty getting under the extractor jaw.

Inspect the claw in the slide that strips a new round off the magazine.

Those are the first things that come to mind. Get a local armorer to do a full detail strip and inspection. If it's an old gun and you haven't had that done in forever, there may be a bunch of things out of spec and there could be some tolerance stacking issues. If it still isn't fixed, send it to Glock. Whatever happens, let us know what the problem ends up being. It's good to know for the next time someone might run into the same thing.

Forgot to update this!

After replacing springs and checking mags, It turned out my reloading recipe was underpowered. I was using the lee dippers and they weren't throwing what they should have been. Upped the charge and not a problem since.

Recently upgraded to a Dillon progressive (what a difference!) so loads are much more consistent.

I've now put close to 3,000 more rounds through it, mostly on a 13lb recoils spring, with 1 failure to fire which I think was a dead primer but I couldn't find the round after the match.

Thanks for everyone's advice, I think the takeaway is that the 34 really hates under loaded ammo, regardless of what springing!

User Tag List