Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a long-term pistol

I bought my first two guns 38 and 37 years ago, respectively, and I still have both of them: A Colt 1911 Series 70, and a S&W M19. I'll probably never sell them. But I don't carry them. They come out of the safe and go to the range every now and then.

I had bad luck on my first Glock, got one that was tolerance stacked beyond help. That turned me off to the platform for several years, until I bought a well worn G19 gen 2 on a whim (and a good price), and that one runs nicely. If that had happened the first try who knows, maybe I never would have needed anything else. As it happened, that pushed me to H&K and I'm perfectly happy with my P2000's.

If I had to pick just one for carry, I'd be happy with either the P2000 or the G19. I've fairly recently started playing with a J-frame though, and more and more it feels like I always want one of those around too for the days when, for any of a variety of reasons, it's less than optimal to carry anything bigger.

I haven't been shooting for 30 years yet, but I wished I'd focused on G17/G19's sooner.

Colt 1911.

In my experience, the most shootable handgun on the market and one that is constantly being refined and developed. There is an enormous body of knowledge out there, and almost everything can be sorted out at home or by local gunsmiths. The mags are never subject to panics, and the ammo is fairly panic resistant as well. Plus, if you are going to start a "love affair" with a pistol, I hope the Glock is a freak in bed, because it is hard on the eyes! LOL.

By the way, I have owned the same pistol since 1991, so it doesn't quite meet your criterion. It is a P7M8 with untold number of rounds through it. It has been rebarelled an had most of the internal parts replaced at the Factory. It has been refinished multiple times. It has worn out three sets of night sights (it is getting its third set installed at Tool Tech right now). I think the folks who worry about parts availability worry a bit too much. The P7m8 has been completely out of production for a while and it is still easier to get parts now than in the early 90s.

Get a gun that you love to shoot. Period.

I'm seriously considering selling all of my pistols except for a few collectibles & just having Gen 4 9mm Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Word.
    Ignore Alien Orders

In my experience, the most shootable handgun on the market and one that is constantly being refined and developed. There is an enormous body of knowledge out there, and almost everything can be sorted out at home or by local gunsmiths. The mags are never subject to panics, and the ammo is fairly panic resistant as well. Plus, if you are going to start a "love affair" with a pistol, I hope the Glock is a freak in bed, because it is hard on the eyes! LOL.

By the way, I have owned the same pistol since 1991, so it doesn't quite meet your criterion. It is a P7M8 with untold number of rounds through it. It has been rebarelled an had most of the internal parts replaced at the Factory. It has been refinished multiple times. It has worn out three sets of night sights (it is getting its third set installed at Tool Tech right now). I think the folks who worry about parts availability worry a bit too much. The P7m8 has been completely out of production for a while and it is still easier to get parts now than in the early 90s.

I'm selling off quite a few guns right now. Love is what keeps one around. No one is paying me to shoot, it's not an obligation. I'll spend what little life I have in love, as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell

Right on. The only thing I would add is to learn everything about it. It's strong and weak points, how to fix it if it breaks, and what is needed to keep it running reliably.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'm not carrying my 22/45.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Well, according to the current internet wisdom all pistol bullets "suck" and are equally feeble so you probably should.

Well, according to the current internet wisdom all pistol bullets "suck" and are equally feeble so you probably should.
    She should carry a Desert Eagle .50 ,recoil between handguns being the same and all.

Its also the sidearm of choice for Bullet Tooth Tony.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List