Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a long-term pistol

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Well, according to the current internet wisdom all pistol bullets "suck" and are equally feeble so you probably should.
    I can't hear you over the sound of this reductio ad absurdum alarm going off.

If Doc starts recommending a .22LR that's built up a reasonable track record on the street, I'll be sure to revisit your suggestion, though.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I can't hear you over the sound of this reductio ad absurdum alarm going off.
    LOL, that's what I was thinking when you posted!

She should carry a Desert Eagle .50 ,recoil between handguns being the same and all.
    My favorite is "recoil is in your mind." About 10 years ago I had a friend disabuse me of that notion by handing me a Scandium J-frame with Cor-bons! Perhaps I had made some comments about how he was whining too much. It was still mean! Recoil between handguns is NOT THE SAME LOL.
    Last edited by Greg Bell; 07-27-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    My favorite is "recoil is in your mind." About 10 years ago I had a friend disabuse me of that notion by handing me a Scandium J-frame with Cor-bons! Perhaps I had made some comments about how he was whining too much. It was still mean! Recoil between handguns is NOT THE SAME LOL.
    Dude, remember back in '00 or '01 when that dude posted the x-ray of his hand with the stress fractures from the Scandalum J-frame at TFL or the Smith forum? Yeah, put me right off those things there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Dude, remember back in '00 or '01 when that dude posted the x-ray of his hand with the stress fractures from the Scandalum J-frame at TFL or the Smith forum? Yeah, put me right off those things there.
    What? You mean real shooters don't enjoy stress fractures? Next thing you know, people will start outlining the benefits of low-recoil buckshot and question the utility of compact 10 mm pistols. This thread is going to be banned from the internet if it keeps heading this way.

I figure most of the shooting in my life while to prepare for a defensive situation will be for recreation. I enjoy shooting and if I'm honest with myself it's a hobby and I hope it never is more than that. There are too many guns to shoot something that hurts. If I have a gun that hurts to shoot or I don't enjoy I see no need for me to have it. Of course being a man I will say that I prefer faster follow up shots. That's code for less recoil

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    Of course being a man I will say that I prefer faster follow up shots. That's code for less recoil
    All other things being equal I'd agree with you. But if you want faster follow up shots you're really looking for more recoil control.

Good recoil control with a 45 will always produce better follow up shots than poor recoil control with a 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    All other things being equal I'd agree with you. But if you want faster follow up shots you're really looking for more recoil control.

Good recoil control with a 45 will always produce better follow up shots than poor recoil control with a 9mm
    This gun I shoot best by far is a S&W 686 (4" barrel). Don't know if it's the sights, or revolver trigger, or what, but I can hit with that thing loaded with 357 magnums better than any 9mm I've shot. I'd say it's my "long-term gun" that I started this thread about, but it's a bit too big and needs more capacity (maybe a snubby 686+?).

Quote Originally Posted by UltimaRatio View Post
    This gun I shoot best by far is a S&W 686 (4" barrel). Don't know if it's the sights, or revolver trigger, or what, but I can hit with that thing loaded with 357 magnums better than any 9mm I've shot. I'd say it's my "long-term gun" that I started this thread about, but it's a bit too big and needs more capacity (maybe a snubby 686+?).
    A 3" seven-shot 581 would be the berries. I could go full curmudgeon for a heater like that.
    Last edited by Tamara; 07-28-2014 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Changed my mind about adjustable sights.

A 3" seven-shot 586 would be the berries. I could go full curmudgeon for a heater like that.
    I sold out for a common garden variety 4" 66. But then, I was ready to make the leap.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Site Supporter
    A 3" seven-shot 581 would be the berries. I could go full curmudgeon for a heater like that.
    This got me to thinking about how cool it would be if S&W had a full-on custom shop. It would be awesome to be able to order any combination of parts your wallet could handle and have a factory bespoke(ish) wheelgun.

I'll be in my bunk.

User Tag List