Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a long-term pistol

Quote Originally Posted by UltimaRatio View Post
    I'd like to be able to carry fairly often, when I get to a place in my life where I can. That being said, I'm willing to have a BUG for hot weather carry.

Sounds like the G19 is it? It's funny, I thought I would hear more votes for 1911's, but only one so far. Thanks for the advice!

ps. I'd love to hear more about the pistols people wish they had bought 30 years ago. Does anyone wish they had got some gen 1 Glocks?
    By everything it sounds like you mean HD/SD/CC. I see it this way; if it's a functional tool you're looking for, Glock is a great choice. Beyond the shootability etc, there are upgrades and spare parts everywhere for it. And many experienced people select it as their sidearm when they have a choice. That doesn't mean you should because you're not them, but it does speak to what a great tool it is.

If you live in a 10 round limited state or think you might be anytime in the near future or you want to be able look at the pistol in 20 years, be in awe of it's classic lines and you still want a viable HD/SD/CC tool, I would personally choose a good 1911 or maybe even a K frame revolver. Glock is a great tool, no doubt about that; but, it still looks like a Glock. And no one is going to be any more in awe of the classic lines of that pistol in 20 years than they are now.

My point is that it depends on what you're looking for. I personally don't subscribe to the buy three of one kind of gun and stick with it philosophy. I understand the concept, but for me, it's just boring as hell. Being able to shoot different platforms in different calibers is part of what keeps me interested. And it gives me exposure to the different workings of different pistols. For me being engaged in the activity of shooting and being 85% proficient with different calibers and platforms is a better choice than being 100% invested in one platform or caliber. But that's me and not you. Whichever direction you choose, make sure you enjoy it. Because that's what will keep you engaged in the activity over the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I'd love to be able to hop in a time machine and go back to 2004 and tell fresh-faced and bright eyed Caleb to not buy all the goddamn derppistols he bought, and instead buy a G19 for carry and a G34 for competition and JUST DO THAT for the next decade.

Or to buy a pair of Model 64s, eat Jerry Miculek's heart to gain his powers and become the Revolver God.
    Well, the Revolver God stuff sounds all well and good--assuming you can steal Miculek's heart (my favorite revolver is a 3" Model 64)--but variety is the spice of life, and you can learn a lot by learning to shoot a lot of different pistols. Are you really sure that you'd be a better shot if you'd shot nothing but Glocks over the last ten years? Or is it possible that the constant learning process caused by moving from platform to platform has actually made you better than you otherwise would have been?

Personally, I'm skeptical about this "shoot the same pistol for 30 years" notion. I'm not at all sure that people are built that way. We like variety too much.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    A matched pair of S&W Model 64s. There's not much you can't accomplish with a k-frame and some skill unless you live in Memphis or Kandahar.
    Hey!

Memphis isn't that bad.

As long as you live an 1.5 hours North.

I have heard it referred to locally as Mogadishu on the Mississippi.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I've said before that I wish that, instead of getting a G23 back in the '90s and then going through all the peregrinations through the P228, G29, P7, 1911, et cetera, that I'd instead just bought a G19 and stuck with it.
    Me too. Except I went higher and started with a G21>G30>G23/G32>G19.

And before that P220>P229>P228>P225 with a P232 in there because the PPK sucked.

Some of my etc was a USP 40 (actually do wish I had just bought a USP9c, I would probably still have it), a Walter P5 (that was cool), Browning HP and several more.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This is a very good question. Hopefully one of our science people can answer this ?

Over on M4C, LAV has been recommending people use their polymer AR mags now and put away metal mags for the future due concerns over degradation of polymers. I know conditions such as UV exposure and temperature affect this. I'be had 1 or 2 old school gen 1, non FML Glock 17 mags crack but that is simply a design issue.
    Depends on the polymer makeup but with most of them if you keep it out of the sun and it will last a VERY long time.

When we are testing polymers we do accelerated aging by putting them in constant UV radiation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    Well, the Revolver God stuff sounds all well and good--assuming you can steal Miculek's heart (my favorite revolver is a 3" Model 64)--but variety is the spice of life, and you can learn a lot by learning to shoot a lot of different pistols. Are you really sure that you'd be a better shot if you'd shot nothing but Glocks over the last ten years? Or is it possible that the constant learning process caused by moving from platform to platform has actually made you better than you otherwise would have been?

Personally, I'm skeptical about this "shoot the same pistol for 30 years" notion. I'm not at all sure that people are built that way. We like variety too much.
    So, you're suggesting that as a species we are not hard-wired for monogunny?

Let's ask OrigamiAK what the word on the streets is about shooting Glocks exclusively for an extended period of time...I do think you can be a phenomenal shooter shooting just revolvers. For me it wouldn't matter if I spent 30 years and 300,000 rounds of ammo shooting Glocks, I still wouldn't be as good a shooter as I am with a revolver. If I got in the time machine, I'd tell 2004 Rob to...buy the M64 he bought and shoot it more and don't sell it later.

Edit: Vis-a-vis one gun for life, main purpose for personal protection and concealed carry. I have long maintained my choice would be an Airweight J-Frame for this task. I view the most important aspect being the ability to conceal the gun in essentially any situation from black tie to swim trunks. If I were going to pick, it would probably be one of the 2.5" 642s Smith built a few years ago, the little bit longer barrel won't effect the ability to hide the gun but should boost shootability and make it easier to do practice sessions with wadcutters and has the added benefit of pinned front sight.

-Rob

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
    There's a bit of hyperbole to it, sure. "Knowing what you know now" sort of implies having taken all the detours you took to get where you are...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Okay. I didn't realize I was spamming. Sorry.

I blame work and caffeine at lunch.

To the Op.

Glock.

I specifically went Glock 19. I own 5 of them for 2 shooters including a complete spare parts kit (minus the frame/barrel/slide and sights) and enough magazines that I won't have to worry about looking wistfully at adverts for Glock magazines at $75+ in gun rags if there is a next time. You can join GSSF and get the armorer's cert (although you could just watch a few videos and get the whole thing)

While there will eventually be a gun that supplants Glock in its current position, like Glock did the 1911, there are enough of them out there in public hands that it will still be around, just like the 1911 and people will eventually be elevating Gaston to a chair right below Saint Browning himself.

Old internet gunshop curmudgeons will be waxing poetic about how they used to build guns using real quality MIM parts and injection molding and stampings versus this new fangled "additive manufacturing."

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Crow Hunter View Post
    ...and enough magazines that I won't have to worry about looking wistfully at adverts for Glock magazines at $75+ in gun rags if there is a next time.
    Heh. As a fellow AWB survivor who just squirreled away three more M&P9 FS mags she found on sale, I know exactly what you're talking about.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

A quality, high end custom 1911. Q.E.D.

User Tag List