Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Thinking about a long-term pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    A 3" seven-shot 581 would be the berries. I could go full curmudgeon for a heater like that.
    After shooting all these 9mm Smifs lately what I really, really want them to make is a 9mm K-frame cut for moonclips with those nifty fixed sights they dovetailed into the 640 Pro Series, a 3-inch barrel, and a TI cylinder. I'd buy SEVERAL.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    After shooting all these 9mm Smifs lately what I really, really want them to make is a 9mm K-frame cut for moonclips with those nifty fixed sights they dovetailed into the 640 Pro Series, a 3-inch barrel, and a TI cylinder. I'd buy SEVERAL.
    Sign me up for one of those as well!

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    They keep telling me the stuff is supposed to last until the heat death of the universe in landfills.
    I've got a Colt pistol that an ancestor used to take potshots at the "Damn Rebs." It still functions.

In metal I (now) trust.

A matched pair of S&W Model 64s. There's not much you can't accomplish with a k-frame and some skill unless you live in Memphis or Kandahar.
    I go with Caleb on this one. Although with my older eyes it would be a 15, 19, 66 or 67 with the more prominent adjustable sights. With a little practice the skill side is not hard to come by.

Of course this would not suprise anyone who knows me.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Glock 19. I really wish I had just stuck with the G19 I bought as my second handgun ever, bought two or three spares, and just proceeded to shoot a pallet or two of ammo through them. Would have saved me a ton of money on guns-of-the-month and leather and magazines for them over the years.

Site Supporter
    Mt Olympus, Los Angeles, CA, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by UltimaRatio View Post
    So I'm thinking about buying a long-term, do-it-all, mate-for-life kinda pistol. I need to be able to put enough rounds down range to get proficient with it, and then be able to rely on it for 30 yrs, etc. What do you guys think this pistol should be? Budget is as generous as it needs to be.

Here's a thought experiment: what pistol do you wish you had bought 30 years ago and shot every week since?
    I would go with a forged SIG P210-6 for an autopistol or a 5¼" Manurhin MR73 Gendarmerie for a revolver: service grade sidearms with bullseye grade accuracy, good for six figure round counts.
    Michael@massmeans.com | Zeleny@post.harvard.edu | westcoastguns@gmail.com | larvatus prodeo @ livejournal | +1-323-363-1860 | “If at first you don’t succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.” — Curly Howard, 1936 | “All of old. Nothing else ever. Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.” — Samuel Beckett, 1984

986 close? or too big?

A matched pair of S&W Model 64s. There's not much you can't accomplish with a k-frame and some skill unless you live in Memphis or Kandahar.
    This was my initial reaction too, though my post wouldn't have been nearly as clever.
    Join FPC

I'm sure in 11 pages the OP decided on one, but I'll still throw in a thoroughly half-hearted vote for the G19. Aftermarket support, ease of maintenance, parts availability, as already mentioned numerous times above.

But I'd rather go with a CZ 75B. The heart wants what it wants.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    But I'd rather go with a CZ 75B. The heart wants what it wants.
    Amen, Reverend
    "A man's character is his fate."

User Tag List