Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blast From The Past:The Bren Ten?

Quote Originally Posted by Haraise View Post
    It still amazes me that the gun was a crunchenticker.
    It's a crunchenticker which can be carried C1,which is all Cooper cared about.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    It still amazes me that the gun was a crunchenticker.
    It still amazes me anybody uses that term. Quick, someone use "shot-cocking"!
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It still amazes me anybody uses that term. Quick, someone use "shot-cocking"!
    I think crunchenticker is a cute word. Very onomatopoeia. But I have no idea what 'shot-cocking' is, nor does google. What does it mean?

I think crunchenticker is a cute word. Very onomatopoeia. But I have no idea what 'shot-cocking' is, nor does google. What does it mean?
    Throwing a round into the dirt so your pistol is in SA mode on the quick.

That being said, back in JCs day handguns of the SA/DA persuasion had trigger pulls better measured with anvils. Fortunately in the year 2014 we have pistols which can be accurately fired in DA mode without hand tendon damage.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    That being said, back in JCs day handguns of the SA/DA persuasion had trigger pulls better measured with anvils.
    Like Beretta 92s, P-series SIGs, and S&W autos...

Jeff Cooper's writings did plenty to perpetuate the myth among the Guns & Ammo set that hitting something with a double action trigger is some near impossible, herculean task.

(Ironically, he also often advanced the idea that mere policemen untrained enough to use his beloved Condition One M1911A1 should be issued with big-bore DA wheelguns.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Is VLTOR still trying to bring the Bren Ten back? There was an announcement a few years ago, and nothing seemed to come of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggus View Post
    Is VLTOR still trying to bring the Bren Ten back? There was an announcement a few years ago, and nothing seemed to come of it.
    Their CEO posted a letter around February saying the project was ongoing. A design goal of the new pistol is using existing Tanfoglio Witness magazines, which effectively means VLTOR has to start the frame design from scratch.(original gun used 10 round mags, the Witness frame uses 14 rounders) Given that, I wouldn't hold my breath on a ship date anytime soon.
    The Minority Marksman.
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I got to shoot a Bren Ten at the IPSC Nationals in Virginia in 1980. It was not that appealing to me.

IIRC, they had a .45ACP conversion kit on it, as 10mm ammo was only available from Norma and was in short supply.

Rosco

BTW, the Witness line of handguns are a no-go as well. At least in the early 'aughties, according to the gunsmith I took mine to, all the guns were severely under sprung, using the same recoil spring for all calibers for 9mm, .40, .38 super, .45, and 10mm. As he put it, "They just took the 9mm and made the holes bigger," and then went on to mutter something about locking lug geometry, firing pin stops, mainsprings and firing pin drag.

The front sight was cast as part of the slide. Night sights, or adjusting POI/POA issues was a no go, without having the slide milled. Oh, and while it was technically a DA/SA gun, there was no decocker, so the only way to "Decock" it was to pull the trigger, very, very carefully so as not to have an AD....

I always did think it was a cool looking gun though.

The frame on mine cracked at 1000 rounds. EAA to their credit, replaced it promptly. They seemed surprised I had actually shot it that many times. I sold the replacement, unfired, and bought a Glock 20, which didn't look anywhere as cool in a shoulder holster, but by then I was over wearing linen jackets and loafers with no socks anyway.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

Jeff Cooper's writings did plenty to perpetuate the myth among the Guns & Ammo set that hitting something with a double action trigger is some near impossible, herculean task.
    Agreed, and I've always found that bias somewhat puzzling, since his association with Jack Weaver and Jim Cirillo should have provided him with ample evidence to the contrary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List