Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Argument for fiber optics on a carry gun?

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Agreed. Although I'd expect lots of intrinsic parallels to the prototypical night sight vs no night sight discussions.

Dooo it!!
    Done!

Site Supporter
    I installed Warren/Sevigny FO sights on my carry gun last night to reevaluate my preference for tritium. If they get me killed on the street, I blame the participants in this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I installed Warren/Sevigny FO sights on my carry gun last night to reevaluate my preference for tritium. If they get me killed on the street, I blame the participants in this thread.

Well, you could blame some of the participants.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post

Pick out your coffin now, I picked mine out the day I shot my first USPSA match.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    Most people here are big fans of lasers, and everyone adores CT grips on their J-frames, but it seems like few people use them on their carry autos. It seems like a good way to mitigate the downsides of FOs.
    On an M&P9c CT's work very well for me and mitigate the downsides of iron sights, period.

Disclaimer: I know virtually nothing. Just ask my wife if you need confirmation on that.

Some pics that illustrate why I use HD sights with tritium inserts. These were taken in my house, so they are pertinent to my experience. All pics were taken with the slide off the gun, except for the WML photo, where the gun was empty and checked repeatedly before being pointed at the safest wall in my gun room. Sights are Ameriglo Hacks and HiViz Overmolded. All photos taken in the late morning.

Gun room. Lights off, blinds closed. Any darker and it would closely represent night conditions in the house, which means most things are reasonably visible.

Darkest hall in the house, lights off.

Brightest area in the house, lights off.

Brightest area in the house, lights on.

Gun room, lights off, TLR-1 activated.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Nice, that's demonstrative.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Just turn the lights on.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersauras View Post
    These were taken in my house,
    I'm still a fan of night sights on a house gun, the darker it is the better they work. Around your house you're very likely to be "in the dark" when you need your handgun.
    Where I'm trying to get some data on fiber optics viability is under CCW conditions.
    The more your research CCW shootings (like Tom's data) the more you find that they tend to happen under much brighter conditions than you'll find in your house after dark.
    Most convenience store gas pumps and parking lots are pretty well lit, same with Wal-Mart and mall parking lots, as well as many city streets that you find yourself on after hours.
    There's also a heck of a lot of robberies and assaults going on during daylight hours, especially during the long days of summer.
    Tom's data also shows that the range these things happen at is a bit longer than previously assumed.
    How do FO and tritium compare under those conditions.

I think HD's are probably the best all around compromise sights.
    Nearly as bright as FO and they still have tritium for o-dark-30.
    They do give up accuracy to FO at ranges beyond 10 yards though.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    I've had the FO rod break on a couple of sets.

B
    O
    O
    H
    O
    O

The FO rod broke.........the sight didn't detonate high order and disappear. Some of the Cheaper than Dirt, or Sportsman's Warehouse clearance ones might........but I don't shop there very often anymore.
    I agree, I've had the same happen with tritium. They are obviously more robust than FO, but it is still a possibility. Both Trijicon and Meprolight on duty Glocks. Just one of the reasons I don't worry quite so much about the durability factor.

User Tag List