Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Philosophy on fisticuffs?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
    For combatives stick to stuff that strives on fast destruction of an opponent, and training in your daily gear (pretty useless if the techniques your learning will not work in what you need to wear for work etc.)
    What art/program would this be that allows for a fast destruction?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    What art/program would this be that allows for a fast destruction?
    Good question....I'd think Krav would be applicable, but.....I'm no pro.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    The real benefit I've received is surprisingly not the skills, to me the real benefit is my increased comfort level under extreme mental and physical pressure.
    I've had a full slam double leg takedown done to me by a high level college wrestler.
    I've been smashed flat by someone who weighs 75# more than me who's trying to choke me unconscious.
    I've been backed into a corner and pummeled by a Golden Gloves boxer.
    It sucked... sometimes it sucked really, really badly.
    But the more exposure I've had to it the more I'm able to control the panic and the greater my ability to think and fight my way out of the crappy hole I've been thrown into.
    This is a GREAT point and why, if feasible, it's good to train with a broad base of people.

When you get into high-level sparring with HS/College wrestlers, WKA and IBJFF medalists, and even Am and Pro MMA fighters, you definitely get a sense of where you stand in the pecking order. Most untrained people could be completely dominated by someone with a minimal but solid grappling base. If you find you can roll and defend yourself reasonably with a Pan Am purple belt gold medalist in hard sparring that's a good assessment, IME.

It's good to get hands on with multiple body shapes, ability and fitness levels, and people with varying martial backgrounds. I primarily train at an established MMA/BJJ/striking/wrestling gym with a broad range of students, which I then supplement with occaisonal training at a local pro fighter's home (more straight MMA sparring and wrestling) with a mix of competitive MMA fighters, and then some beating-the-crap-out-of-each-other time with a couple close friends. This gives me a huge pool of people to be challenged by, as well as measure my personal progress against. And helps to alleviate the fear and panic inherent in a physical altercation, as mentioned by Jody.

Looking forward to augmenting this by getting my ass handed to me at a ECQC some day!

If folks put their ages down with their response on threads like this, I think a trend would pop out.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'm 26, for what that is worth. Most of the serious bjj people I roll with are 30-50 years old.

Just slipped into my 4th decade.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If folks put their ages down with their response on threads like this, I think a trend would pop out.
    Foty-Fo
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Forty.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    I think I just turned 37 a while back.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    23, but most Judoka I trained with in college were grad students or faculty FWIW

User Tag List