Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticky mags (won't drop free) - Beretta 92FS

Sticky mags (won't drop free) - Beretta 92FS

Can't let the 92FS love die as problems are solved. The gun I just acquired a 92FS of late 1990s vintage has a trouble with mags dropping free. Both Check-Mate and Beretta mags with anti-friction coating on them won't drop free if empty and especially not if partially full. They don't take too much effort to remove from the gun (but do take a bit of prying), leaving me to suspect that I just have a bit of a thick/wide spot in the magazine well. Maybe correlated to this the magazine release seems very stiff and strong compared to other guns I have owned, but I have never owned a 92FS and I cannot recall how stiff the release was on the ones I have handled prior to this one.

Is this a common issue with Berettas (mags not dropping free and/or mag release being stiff)? Any "check this first" suggestions, before I break the gun down and break out the 120-grit sand paper? Should I try different mags? All the mags feed fine, lock back the slide on an empty, etc. They just don't drop free with the release is press.

Other thoughts?

I'm planning on ordering a Wolff overhaul kit for the 92FS (all of the different springs), along with a 3rd gen locking block and sending it all to Wilson with the gun (this gun is getting a full WC overhaul), but I'd like to get the mags dropping free before I head to the range on Friday and spend half my range sessions pulling mags out of the gun.

-Rob

Is it the grip panels?

Or the grip screws? I don't know from berettas, but on a 1911 they can protrude into the mag well if overtorqued.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    There's supposed to be a washer under each grip screw. If one or more is missing, you'll get what you're describing.

Happened to me -- first remove the grip panels and see if the problem goes away.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Ah-ha! Thank you folks!

I found the problem. I stripped off the grips and all mags drop free and I was missing a washer under every single screw AND I found one of the screws was way over-tightened. The too tight one is so tight when I unscrewed it the bushing came out with it, instead of the screw. I will see if I can separate them. Should I loctite the bushing back into place, once I separate them? Beretta USA, Brownells, or Numrich for washers and new screws (I have three matching screws and one that is obviously a mis-match (different slot size))?

-Rob

I just screws and washers from Brownell's.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks GJM, I will get them ordered!

Problem solved! I separated the bushing and installed it tightly, I figure to loctite when I get new screws and washers. Until then I reinstalled the stocks and ran the screws just snug so they won't work loose, but aren't super tight, all of my mags drop free cleanly now full, partially full, or empty, excellent!

-Rob

Don't need to loctite them, just do not over screw them.

Technically the bushing should be staked much like the 1911. It requires a special tool that you can get from Brownells. However just give locktight a try.

This is of course assuming that the bushing hole is not stripped. If it is you will need to send it off and have it fixed. If the threads look ok then clean and degrease them. I would also recommend using a new bushing screw. Don't over tighten, you may strip the bushing hole if you do. Do not use locktight on the grip screws.

If after that you still have problems with it coming loose then send it off for a proper repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We could isolate Russia totally from the world and maybe they could apply for membership after 2000 years.

User Tag List