Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 50-100 meter/yards shooting

Site Supporter
    I've done quite a bit of extended range shooting with Glocks on MGM 2/3 IPSC silhouettes and the advice above is good. Don't think the shots are low...they are likely close to dead on or maybe even a bit over the line of sight at 100 yards. Most of the sights on Glocks set up a very high bullet path at extended range. Other things to try are to have an observer watch the target with binoculars as you shoot. You can generally see the bullets in flight at that distance without much effort and while watching for other shooters at this distance, you often see some very odd bullet performances at this distance, with bullets doing odd curves, etc.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

When I was shooting GL30s .45acp at 100 yards, I held on the clavicles/6 O'clock head hold. This put the shots in the body. Standard Trijicons were used.
    With GL17s and 115-127 gr 9mm, with Warren Tactical 3 dot tritium, sights seem on at 100 yards. AT 25 yards 6 O'clock hold on the head produces center head hits. Head is 6"x6" in all cases.

People tend to really overestimate drop at 50. Unless you're shooting 38, it's not that significant.

At 50 I aim right across the middle. At 100, I aim low, two-thirds down the target.

Thanks a lot guys

Ill be sticking a large piece of cardboard and see where I hit @50, the move to 100. Gotta crack this nut, unfortunately ill have to wait till next week to do it, but Ill report back my findings.

So cardboard and adjust my aim anb hopefully I can sleep well later on!

Keep the good stuff coming !

Banned
    Howdy,

A large piece of cardboard and red stick-on target is your friend when trying to determine POA vs POI at long ranges whether it be a handgun or long gun.

Paul

Well I put up some cardboard, and fiqured out that I shot waayyy high, @ 65 I hit center chest by aiming just below the BCCZ target.

So next question for you guys:
    To improve my shooting at distance what would be the best investment (other than time and training)
    -A match barrel
    -An optic (RMR milled slide, or something like the 6 second optic mount w/T1)

Quote Originally Posted by rilumva View Post
    Well I put up some cardboard, and fiqured out that I shot waayyy high, @ 65 I hit center chest by aiming just below the BCCZ target.

To improve my shooting at distance what would be the best investment (other than time and training)
    -A match barrel
    A .235 tall front sight. Can't remember if this has been discussed, but I would also put the stock barrel back in.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A .235 tall front sight. Can't remember if this has been discussed, but I would also put the stock barrel back in.
    Could you elaborate on this as I am POA/POI @ 25?

Quote Originally Posted by rilumva View Post

-A match barrel

A match barrel may help, but the factory barrels don't seem to shoot too bad. The ancient g-19 I was shooting @ 300 yards would hit the 18" plate pretty consistently. 3-6/10 with Winchester white box was about par. Two hands, standing, kneeling once in a while. One handed once in a while, but less hits. Still, I was surprised how well it shot at distance.

User Tag List