Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Shotguns -- slugs versus buckshot considerations

It's a 3/4" diameter 1oz. chunk of lead at 1200fps... that's bound to tear some crap up.
    Against soft, squishy people any slug is gonna leave a mark.
    I haven't found a slug yet that doesn't shoot at least as good as your average crappy shotgun sights will allow.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    Typical buckshot, fired parallel to the ground at shoulder height hits the ground 300 yards in front of you if you miss your target. Slugs and bullets extend the danger zone an awful lot.
    The Nobel 27 pellet #4 Buckshot I keep my house gun Winchester 1300 loaded with starts hitting dirt right at 200 yards.
    With that load I only have to worry about one direction from my house, the other 270 degrees are a 350 yard free fire zone.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Site Supporter
    Jody-- I should have specified 00 Buck when I said 300 yards. #4 is so much lighter that it has an even shorter downrange zone, as you noted.

That has a flip side, however. Based on a couple of shootings I am aware of where #4 failed miserably, I don't trust it to penetrate enough. When I say "buckshot" I generically mean 00. I personally favor the 8 pellet loads over the 9 pellet versions. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned flyers with a 9 pellet load. That is pretty much standard, due to the way the pellets are stacked in the shell. The geometry works much better with 8 pellets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    How are they out of your Serbu?
    Obnoxious, just like everything else out of a 6" 12ga..

Which Serbu Super shorty variation do you recommend, 870, 500, other ?

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    It's a 3/4" diameter 1oz. chunk of lead at 1200fps... that's bound to tear some crap up.
    Against soft, squishy people any slug is gonna leave a mark.
    I haven't found a slug yet that doesn't shoot at least as good as your average crappy shotgun sights will allow.
    Thanks, Jody, I see your point.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I much prefer military grade durable designs. This seems to be much easier to accomplish in a rifle or a handgun than a shotgun.
    I do not wish any handicaps in a lethal confrontation.
    Is there a shotgun as durable/reliable as a military rifle?
    590a1
    M1
    M3
    M4
    Others

Site Supporter
    For those worried about undue spread, would a full choke be an effective tool in a defensive shotgun? Just aim it like a rifle and send what's basically a large, compact blob of lead downrage...right?

Anyone seen or heard of the performance of the Winchester Razorback 12 ga slugs? They are segmented to split into three upon penetration.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    On the topic of slugs, have any of you guys used Remington Managed-Recoil Slugger (RR13RSB), 1oz., 1200fps? My department normally uses Federal's TruBall (LE127RS) 1300fps round but due an availability issue the Remington was purchased. I'm curious if anyone has used it.
    I used it a lot when I was a traveling shotgun trainer, but other than a feral dog at 25 yards I never shot anything living with it. The dog dropped like a rock, DRT. It shot pretty good groups at 50 yards, IIRC.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

User Tag List