Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Givens, American Handgunner article

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I saw that last night. Excellent reading, basically a short version of his lecture, which is even more excellent.
    Tom's Lessons from the Street DVD is a great companion piece to this article.

VERY GOOD ARTICLE TOM! I can see a series The Givens Files.....how bout it?
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

Great read. Thanks for posting.

Tom's presentation on this topic along with William Aprill's lecture on how criminal select victims makes for a very interesting way to spend a day.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    (As a parenthetical comment, if anyone wants to save a copy of the article in the link, the Readability extension for Chrome did a great job of cleaning up the format from the magazine website before I printed to PDF. I also realized that I can use Readability to send documents to my Kindle. The version that ended up on my Kindle looks great. I am very pleased now. Thanks for listening.)

Site Supporter
    And to plug Tom further, Nyeti and I are hosting his Instructor Course in Dallas in early October. See the training listings if you want some very solid training with Tom.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I think I remember Chuck Haggard pointing out that this was very consistent with his experience. His theory was that the amount of ambient light needed to rob someone was generally sufficient to identify and engage a bad guy.
    Not Tom but this is essentially correct. RM student shooting are typically the result of an attempted armed robbery and typically on a parking lot. If it's really dark, the bad guy can't see you to rob you.

The need to be able to run a flashlight and pistol is a good example of a skill set that is vital to some but not others. LE has an obligation to enter dark environments and find bad guys. Therefore, the ability to conduct a building search in the dark is an important skill set for that context.

While "never" is a strong word, the private citizen need to do this is very, very limited. The armed citizen is far more likely to use building clearing skills to exit a structure rather than enter it.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Outside of my home, I can't think of the last time I was somewhere so dark that I couldn't identify someone at 7 or more yards. Unless I'm in bed, which obviously isn't a concealed carry situation, its never really that dark. Of course someone in a more rural area, with a different lifestyle, or poor eyesight might have different experiences.

A flashlight is still a good idea even if its never used in a self defense situation.

I can think of frequent instances where the bad guy can hurt me in complete darkness -- those "bad guys" are moose and bears. I like lasers and/or lights on my firearms used in the dark.

New point -- interesting that Tom's students have needed to shoot at distances longer than most associate with citizen defensive use.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I can think of frequent instances where the bad guy can hurt me in complete darkness -- those "bad guys" are moose and bears. I like lasers and/or lights on my firearms used in the dark.

New point -- interesting that Tom's students have needed to shoot at distances longer than most associate with citizen defensive use.
    Better SA than "average"? They spot the danger sooner?
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List