Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Givens, American Handgunner article

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What you don't need is:

3) do speed or tac reloads.
    The boss and I had this discussion recently. Do we (imperial we) spend too much time working on reloads when with the 15+ and 17+ round capacity pistols are we going to be reloading in the "typical" gunfight?

Nothing in the above should be construed to mean to not work on reloads at all; just are we giving them too much import when we could use some of that time on more important things.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Not to belittle what is required, but you basically need intermediate square range skills, with perhaps a step off the line thrown in for extra points. What am I missing?[/QUOTE]

Being aware of what is going on around you, seeing that you are being set up.

This awareness has worked for me on several encounters where I was able to get my gun in hand before the feces went down.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The boss and I had this discussion recently. Do we (imperial we) spend too much time working on reloads when with the 15+ and 17+ round capacity pistols are we going to be reloading in the "typical" gunfight?

Nothing in the above should be construed to mean to not work on reloads at all; just are we giving them too much import when we could use some of that time on more important things.
    At minimum for LE, I am of the opinion (based on actual incidents) that your folks should be getting in the "habit" of ensuring that their pistol is fully topped off when it goes back in the holster when a drill is over. Typical LE incidents are often not over just because the initial threat is done. They still may have to be a cop after the initial incident. How they get loaded is less important than the making it a habit to not quit just because the initial portion is done. this simply takes a little time and training and shouldn't require any extra ammunition or resources, but only a change of mindset. The same with things like movement. You can have your people holster up and lolly gag to the next shooting position, or have them un holster, come to a ready and move like they are approaching a threat and you get some handling work in a zero cost.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    At minimum for LE, I am of the opinion (based on actual incidents) that your folks should be getting in the "habit" of ensuring that their pistol is fully topped off when it goes back in the holster when a drill is over.
    I think we've discussed it before but I wanted to clarify... In your classes do you have your students top off after every drill? I haven't in the past but I think it'd be a really good habit to get into. More so for police than your average Joe but still not a bad idea.

Since it's fresh in my mind, I read through the report on Gelhaus and did note that he topped off his gun. They found 9 rounds left in a discarded mag and a full gun in his holster.

In my career we have naver had a copper need to reload in a fight.

Keith Jones told me that Indianapolis had like 120+ OISs that he had data on, and even back in the revolver days they had only one guy that needed to reload.

However, comma, when a guy needs to reload then he NEEDS to reload, Newhall or Miami anyone?

Site Supporter
    Chuck nailed it. Reloading skill is much like carrying your gun. You may never need it, but if you need it you'll need it very, very badly.

Like I wrote, nothing in that post should be construed as to that state it isn't needed. It was just a discussion as to whether we were giving it too much import at the expense of other things.

For example, somebody whose first shot on target time at seven yards is 2.5 seconds really should be working more on presentation than reloading. They'd have to actually get the gun out and run in it dry... that might be optimistic...
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    In my career we have naver had a copper need to reload in a fight.

Keith Jones told me that Indianapolis had like 120+ OISs that he had data on, and even back in the revolver days they had only one guy that needed to reload.

However, comma, when a guy needs to reload then he NEEDS to reload, Newhall or Miami anyone?
    That has been my experience also, thus my disagreement with the multiple fancy reloading techniques. Learn one reloading technique, preferably the speed/emergency reload as it is commonly termed, and learn it well. Spend the rest of the time learning and honing other skills that are more likely to make a difference.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    That has been my experience also, thus my disagreement with the multiple fancy reloading techniques. Learn one reloading technique, preferably the speed/emergency reload as it is commonly termed, and learn it well. Spend the rest of the time learning and honing other skills that are more likely to make a difference.
    There you go. Simplify the process. Less time is needed on it.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    2) have tritium sights or a flashlight to illuminate the bad guy.
    Since I'm only reading here, what in this discussion led you to the first part of #2 above re: tritium sights?

User Tag List