Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Study: Since 2007, Concealed Carry Up 130%, Murders Down 22%

Son of a Bitch!

I was promised blood in the streets!

The study by the Crime Prevention Research Center found that 11.1 million Americans now have permits to carry concealed weapons, up from 4.5 million in 2007. The 146 percent increase has come even as both murder and violent crime rates have dropped by 22 percent.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/09...-claims-study/
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    I was promised blood in the streets!

The study by the Crime Prevention Research Center found that 11.1 million Americans now have permits to carry concealed weapons, up from 4.5 million in 2007. The 146 percent increase has come even as both murder and violent crime rates have dropped by 22 percent.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/07/09...-claims-study/
    In Chicago, there's plenty to go around. Except it's the bad guys turn to bleed with CCW being legal.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

New Study: Since 2007, Concealed Carry Up 130%, Murders Down 22%

Original article here, with nifty interactive map, showing CCW holders per state.

The Crime Prevention Research Center (CPRC) today released a report, Concealed Carry Permit Holders Across the United States, revealing that 11.1 million Americans hold concealed carry permits up from an estimated 4.6 million in 2007...

The report also notes:

*Three states (South Dakota, Indiana, and Alabama) now have over 10 percent of their adult populations with permits, and 10 states have at least 8 percent of their adult populations with permits.

*The number of concealed carry permit holders is likely much higher than 11.1 million.

*Between 2007 and the preliminary estimates for 2013, murder rates have fallen from 5.6 to 4.4 per 100,000 – a 22 percent drop in the murder rate at the same time that the percentage of the adult population with permits soared by 130 percent. Overall violent crime also fell by 22 percent over that period of time.
    Actual report here in PDF form.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 07-10-2014 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Threads merged (which broke the link), so I changed the URL to this thread (which is sort of silly).
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Correlation does not, of course, equal causation, but that's been the smart argument for our side all along. Tying gun ownership to social utility is a bad move long-term, whereas pointing out that the murder (or overall violent crime) rate is largely decoupled from gun ownership rates is beneficial.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Correlation does not, of course, equal causation, but that's been the smart argument for our side all along. Tying gun ownership to social utility is a bad move long-term, whereas pointing out that the murder (or overall violent crime) rate is largely decoupled from gun ownership rates is beneficial.
    This.

Trudat. I like to specify legal gun ownership rates. It begs the argument that illegal guns are the ones causing crime, and that reducing the number of overall guns would reduce the number of illegal guns used in crime. But since legal ownership rates are decoupled from gun violence rates, then legal ownership rates are necessarily decoupled from illegal ownership rates. They respond with "well, the illegal guns are smuggled from surrounding areas with high legal ownership rates" and I say "I've heard that but I've never seen data to back it up...except Fast and Furious data that we can explore if you like."

But I rarely get to finish the gambit for the vigorous shouting-down I'm taking by then.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Thanks Tam.

Site Supporter
    Correlation does not, of course, equal causation,
    Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    This.
    + bazillion
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

If we're going to be scientifically/statistically rigorous we can't even conclude that from this information alone. There may simply be other factors that impact the murder rate more strongly that are pushing the murder rate down faster than increased gun ownership is pushing it up.

Of course the additional information that murder rate among CCW holders is exceptionally low adds some compelling weight to the hypothesis that they might be weakly coupled or uncoupled, at least in a non-rigorous way.

User Tag List