Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Fix the Ghetto.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I've lived in a trailer park in the North Georgia mountains and I've lived in the hard hood. I've known felons in both places who've done hard time. I know what I'm comparing to what.
    Not questioning what you've seen, but it wouldn't be so hard to for me to believe that a kid in the ghetto would want to be "powerful" like his estranged gangster big bro. I have a hard time seeing a little trailer crawler espousing that he wants to be addicted to meth when he grows up.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Isn't this post a violation of the forum CoC? I realize its not directed at anyone, but theres a platter of offensive slurs in your post which aren't needed to make your point.
    She just described my entire ethnic makeup and yet I'm not the least bit upset. Why did her using those term in a historical context seem to upset you so terribly?

I think so long as she didn't call YOU a drunken mick she's ok.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm not trolling. They are physiologically more damaging in short order. So they can't be used safely. That's my take. And the "what about alcohol" doesn't resonate with me because even if it were as destructive per user capita, that's not a reason to add more addictive intoxicants to the mix.

There is evidence that moderate alcohol consumption is healthy - for longevity. I don't think we will ever be able to say such about crack or meth.
    Gotcha. Sorry if the alcohol question seems out of bounds - this view is different from mine (at least for now, I'm eminently convinceable!) and I'm looking for consistencies to help me understand the drug questions, especially as they pertain to the ghetto. In that spirit, do you think tobacco should be legal? After all, it's demonstrably physiologically damaging and we'll never be able to say that moderate tobacco consumption is healthy. Again, not trying to be flippant, just exploring the edges of this concept in hopes of understanding the shape!
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by john556 View Post
    She just described my entire ethnic makeup and yet I'm not the least bit upset. Why did her using those term in a historical context seem to upset you so terribly?
    Upset me personally ? No. I'm not in the ethnic categories she's mentioning, and I realize its not directed at an individual.

However, another PF member of Italian decent might have a different perspective. Considering she could edit those words out and not change the meaning of the post at all, that's why I'm lodging a protest . Theres nanny state PC BS, and then theres using offensive words where none are necessary.A subject also covered by this sites CoC.

Now if Tam being called out on this means the servers will blow up in C4 powered fury, then fugediboudit.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Upset me personally ? No. I'm not in the ethnic categories she's mentioning, and I realize its not directed at an individual.

However, another PF member of Italian decent might have a different perspective. Considering she could edit those words out and not change the meaning of the post at all, that's why I'm lodging a protest . Theres nanny state PC BS, and then theres using offensive words where none are necessary.A subject also covered by this sites CoC.

Now if Tam being called out on this means the servers will blow up in C4 powered fury, then fugediboudit.
    I find it to lend valuable historical color in a minimally offensive package - the wording conveys, mildly, some of the offensiveness that is so much a part of ghettos in every era. Still, for silly humor at the expense of subtle shades of meaning, I would vote to replace this platter with "kittens, smurfs, and meeses."
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

First off, I don't know Tam and have never corresponded with her. It is solely your reaction that I am concerned with.

As far as people of Italian descent being upset at reading the word WOP, it's all about the context. I know many full blooded Italians and I believe all would take great offense if the word was used in an aggressive or disrespectful manner, but I have never seen any, my family included, who would react to the word itself the same way superman reacts to kryptonite. Kind of the same way I don't have a problem with people carrying guns, but I suddenly become very concerned when a gun is pointed at my head.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'm not trolling. They are physiologically more damaging in short order. So they can't be used safely. That's my take. And the "what about alcohol" doesn't resonate with me because even if it were as destructive per user capita, that's not a reason to add more addictive intoxicants to the mix.

There is evidence that moderate alcohol consumption is healthy - for longevity. I don't think we will ever be able to say such about crack or meth.

Edit: I'm no expert on drug abuse by any means and my fairly top line understanding pretty much maxes out all I got on the topic.

I kind of get what your saying, but I think your downplaying The dangerous effects of alcohol. According to CDC stats, there are 88,000 alcohol related deaths each year in 'Murica. Crack and meth, not even close.

I find it interesting you use the most extreme examples of drug use too. Even if crack and meth were legal, I don't think you'd see a huge jump in usage. Most people know crack and meth not good for you, same way most people know drinking a fifth of vodka is bad for you. Addiction is addiction.

Marijuana has been shown to have numerous health benefits, including chronic pain m anagement and reducing deadly epileptic seizures.
    Last edited by richiecotite; 07-08-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MDS View Post
    Gotcha. Sorry if the alcohol question seems out of bounds - this view is different from mine (at least for now, I'm eminently convinceable!) and I'm looking for consistencies to help me understand the drug questions, especially as they pertain to the ghetto. In that spirit, do you think tobacco should be legal? After all, it's demonstrably physiologically damaging and we'll never be able to say that moderate tobacco consumption is healthy. Again, not trying to be flippant, just exploring the edges of this concept in hopes of understanding the shape!
    Check this kitten out!!! http://ezinearticles.com/?Nicotine--...its?&id=291157

I'm pro-vices in general. Just anti-drug. Smoking cigs - inhaling is pretty dang destructive I think. Back when one of the kiddo's was in the orthodontist chair for a long time I went through the doc's textbook on oral cancer. Very little research on smokeless. Oral cancers were a 10 to 1 thing male to female in 1946 or something and by 1970 the ratio was 1 to 1. Gals didn't take up dipping. Hot smoke changes everything.

The Swedes had high smoking and high lung cancer rates years ago. Unlike America they didn't go all "no safe alternative"; they promoted snus. They've cut their smoking and cut their cancer. "60 Minutes" did a profile on them about this a few years ago contrasting it with the US approach. Their surgeon general counterpart was pretty convincing it was a low risk alternative. Now they have purity standards that don't exist there.

What's your super power? I have super human levels of rationalization.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I think the entire point is that alcohol being more prevalent is a large reason why it accounts for more deaths. I do believe if the harder drugs were to be made legal we would see a substantial jump in deaths related to their use. Maybe not right away but eventually. People have long known the dangers of smoking, but they continue to smoke. Self imposed ignorance is bliss.

User Tag List