Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Lack of support" for a given pistol?

"Lack of support" for a given pistol?

I was curious about many of the brands that aren't in fashion on this board, and was doing searches for the current Rugers, Steyrs, etc. One comment that frequently pops up about all less-common or new pistols is whether there is reasonable support for a given gun.

This term makes a lot of sense when you're thinking of buying a Peugeot, or maybe even some sort of tactical rifle that must be encased in tactical do-dads. But why is this a concern with a pistol?

If you were to lose your mind and buy an SR9, Ruger is going to have all the factory replacement parts and magazines you need. There seem to be custom holster makers all over for both leather and kydex, as well as non-weapon specific holsters. And, making your own kydex or leather holster is fairly low on the DIY totem pole.

Is it just holsters that are the issue? Those ugly universal rails can't be the problem when it comes to do-dads. Is it the lack of reliability-lowering aftermarket trigger parts? Threaded barrels to go with your nomex balaclava? Just how much support should something as simple as a handgun require?

Quote Originally Posted by RX-79G View Post
    I was curious about many of the brands that aren't in fashion on this board, and was doing searches for the current Rugers, Steyrs, etc. One comment that frequently pops up about all less-common or new pistols is whether there is reasonable support for a given gun.

This term makes a lot of sense when you're thinking of buying a Peugeot, or maybe even some sort of tactical rifle that must be encased in tactical do-dads. But why is this a concern with a pistol?

If you were to lose your mind and buy an SR9, Ruger is going to have all the factory replacement parts and magazines you need. There seem to be custom holster makers all over for both leather and kydex, as well as non-weapon specific holsters. And, making your own kydex or leather holster is fairly low on the DIY totem pole.

Is it just holsters that are the issue? Those ugly universal rails can't be the problem when it comes to do-dads. Is it the lack of reliability-lowering aftermarket trigger parts? Threaded barrels to go with your nomex balaclava? Just how much support should something as simple as a handgun require?
    You seem to have an axe to grind with some people.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 07-05-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: double paste
    #RESIST

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt, as I once thought the same way.

Even today, for myself, availability of spare parts isn't really a critical thing. Keep in mind that it is, however, an important consideration when you shoot a lot. Things break. PM needs to be done at regular intervals (some guns more than others). Thus, when you're shooting schedule is so frequent that you can go through a PM interval once per month, spare parts becomes an issue.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter

I'm pretty picky when it comes to certain accessories like sights and holsters. Holsters aren't a big problem for me because most kydex makers can easily adapt to make a holster for any pistol, but for someone who needs a retention holster, a less popular pistol will usually be a problem. Sights, both irons and CTC grips, are usually the support item I'm most concerned with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I'm pretty picky when it comes to certain accessories like sights and holsters. Holsters aren't a big problem for me because most kydex makers can easily adapt to make a holster for any pistol, but for someone who needs a retention holster, a less popular pistol will usually be a problem. Sights, both irons and CTC grips, are usually the support item I'm most concerned with.

Sights are a big thing.

Guns are expensive. I'm interested in spending my money on guns that have been proven to be reliable and durable in a wide variety of environments and uses. "Unpopular" guns can rarely claim to have been widely proven, so I shy away from them.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post

I hadn't thought about sights. The stock sights on all modern handguns are excellent compared to 40 years ago, but you might not be able to find night sights or whatever fashionable shape is all the rage. However, getting night sights for a Ruger or Steyr doesn't seem to be an issue.

Regular replacement parts aren't an issue with something like a Ruger, either

If I have an axe to grind with "some people", I don't know who those people are.

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post

Guns are expensive. I'm interested in spending my money on guns that have been proven to be reliable and durable in a wide variety of environments and uses. "Unpopular" guns can rarely claim to have been widely proven, so I shy away from them.
    That's true, but no one on this board seems to be sweating HK completing changing the recoil operation dynamic of their guns by removing the hammer or when Glock changed their spring system. Do some brands get a pass?

If I have an axe to grind with "some people", I don't know who those people are.
    It sounds like you've found your own acceptable level of technology and customization in weapons. There's many of us who like a certain style of night sights, having X amount of magazines and even being able to order surplus spare parts (the inability to do this has happened very recently with at least two companies I can name).

You know, shooting has and will continue to evolve whether we all like it or not. What you consider "tactical doodads" might be considered essential by others who have more recently served, trained, and/or formally competed with their firearms. I for one; like being able to ID my target at night and I even see the personal need for seeing my sights at night. After having a gunshot wound to the arm, I like ambidextrous controls and being able to rack the weapon one handed should need be. I even like bolting on "tactical doodads on my tactical rifle" because I can see the need for a white light, sling, red dot sight, and iron sights. I'm sure that's just modern frippery to you but not to me.
    #RESIST

That's true, but no one on this board seems to be sweating HK completing changing the recoil operation dynamic of their guns by removing the hammer or when Glock changed their spring system. Do some brands get a pass?
    Are you upset with this forum? Are you really sure we (the collective "we" on this forum as opposed to you who asks the hard questions?) have given Glock a pass?
    #RESIST

Site Supporter

Besides sights, spare mags are a big deal to me. For a gun I'm going to train with, I'm going to want a dozen or more range mags, in addition to my service mags.

My range time is finite; I don't like to waste it loading magazines.

User Tag List