Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: .308 time, suggestions?

Site Supporter
    I had a buddy win a DPMS SASS. I believe the barrel came loose or barrel (ETA: typo) nut loosened and developed wobble at about 300-400 rounds?

I can find specifics, but it's off hand and about 4-5 years ago.

I'd go SCAR 17. Light weight (good for carrying), folding stock (great for a pack), consistently very accurate and reliable. They're great guns, I was considering a SCAR 16 for sometime. I just eventually came to the conclusion that it didn't offer a ton my BCM AR's didn't as far as reliability, etc.

The downsides are 16" is getting to be short at 500 yards and SCARs beat up optics; so factor that into your decision.

I'd recommend a 2.5-10x scope for 500. Maybe a 1-6 at least?

Any of the other SME's want to chime in? I know that there is some serious knowledge floating around here and I would love to hear some of it. DocGKR, why the recommendation for the SR25 variant? Willing to shed some light, is it accuracy potential, twist rate/ammunition choices, personal pref. due to control layout, non-reprocating charging handle etc., price point/bang for the buck? I would like to hear your thoughts Sir.

BWT I would disagree with 16" being short for 500 yards in .308/7.62. Lethality comes down to placement, bullet construction/composition and velocity/energy.

Darryl, that Colt 901 weighs 9.4 pounds empty -- why is that better than a SCAR H?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Any of the other SME's want to chime in? I know that there is some serious knowledge floating around here and I would love to hear some of it. DocGKR, why the recommendation for the SR25 variant? Willing to shed some light, is it accuracy potential, twist rate/ammunition choices, personal pref. due to control layout, non-reprocating charging handle etc., price point/bang for the buck? I would like to hear your thoughts Sir.

BWT I would disagree with 16" being short for 500 yards in .308/7.62. Lethality comes down to placement, bullet construction/composition and velocity/energy.
    I'm just saying when he starts talking about the desert, vehicle penetration and extended ranges. I think velocity becomes a factor in .308.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-v...iflescope.html

I've been out and about searching for scopes and this looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I'm just saying when he starts talking about the desert, vehicle penetration and extended ranges. I think velocity becomes a factor in .308.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-v...iflescope.html

I've been out and about searching for scopes and this looks promising.
    BWT, SWFA has those same Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x for $599. Vortex makes a nice scope for the money. I've got their Viper PST 1-4 on my 16" AR and I'm very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Darryl, that Colt 901 weighs 9.4 pounds empty -- why is that better than a SCAR H?
    Didn't say it was "better", I said I think its the best fit for what he is looking for. Its going on a UTV....weight ain't hugely important. Its a monolithic, so nothing to really goof around with as far as rails. He can get an adaptor to shoot 5.56 as well, which is a good option. Soft shooter and easy on optics (which is very unlike the SCAR). Reliable with cheap and easy to source PMAG's. Priced right with easy support, and its a familiar platform for most folks with "used to" AR function (the 901 actually has some nice ambi additions).

I'm not "anti SCAR" or anything, it just sounds to me like the 901 would be the best fit for what the criteria is.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Just wondering, but have you considered a 6.8 SPC? Seems like a good middle ground between the 7.62 and 5.56. DocGKR seems to think they're a pretty good "do-everything" round in the 7.62 duty ammo thread; nyeti has also spoken highly of the round for bridging the gap.
    I haven't looked at the 6.8spc for about five years but I did look at it pretty hard at one point. But I couldn't see any reason to add it to my selection.

From what I remember the 308 out performed it by a fair amount and the 223 was nipping at it heels. Has there been a significant improvement in the 6.8spc round in the last few years ?
    https://www.facebook.com/dave.bateman.311

kimbers have more issues than time magazine.

Site Supporter
    It's funny, I have a Colt 901 with a vortex viper 2.5-10 sitting in my safe and I love it. Had Jody posted this question 4 months ago when I still lived in NM I would offer to get together to let him try it out.

Plain no frills 18" or so .308 with a 2-4moa red dot. Maybe a flip up magnifier.
    Sturdy, reliable with more smackdown than 5.56.
    0-100 is where its at, but 500 yard capable.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Plain no frills 18" or so .308 with a 2-4moa red dot. Maybe a flip up magnifier.
    Sturdy, reliable with more smackdown than 5.56.
    0-100 is where its at, but 500 yard capable.
    That has M&P 10 written all over it.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

User Tag List