Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: .308 time, suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Per SLG and SeanM, there is really one choice -- Larue. PredatAR and PredatOBR, which fits in a tool box now, are the choices.
    I thought about recommending the Larue but was concerned about the barrel issues they were having. Is this solved at this point?
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    For precision I would not pick a FAL though I really like them.
    My eyes aren't good enough for precision shooting.
    If it'll shoot to a 4 MOA Trijicon dot I'll be more than happy for my intended purpose.
    I'm wanting a truck gun with more reach and pop than 5.56 for my fall/winter trips down along the border.
    There's been times when I'm looking through bino's at a probable smuggler/coyote 500 yards away looking through bino's back at me that my 20" barreled 5.56 just didn't seem like it had enough reach.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I thought about recommending the Larue but was concerned about the barrel issues they were having. Is this solved at this point?

http://www.laruetactical.com/xtraxn%...larue-tactical
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

As stated, Scar 17. Adjustable LOP & cheek rest. Collapsable to a reasonable size/portable size. Surely accurate to 500 meters without issue, reasonably light. Detachable box mag, 20 or 25 rounds. The only thing that sucks is that the twist rate is a 1/12 vs. OBR's 1/10. Though if you are looking for light/portable with decent accuracy 17's got it. It is also a bit lighter than the OBR though I can't remember specifics but I believe it is around 1 to 1 1/2 pounds. Thats a decent optic in terms of weight. Just sayin'.

Jody, it might be worth searching for a thread from a few years ago on this topic.

I had an original Larue and sold it when they were having teething problems. I subsequently got two SCAR H rifles, which work well, especially with a Geisselle (sp) trigger. SeanM and SLG, both of whom have forgotten more than I know about .308 gas rifles, explained why the Larue is MO better than the H. Recently, I got a Larue PredatOBR in, after they filled my back order, and it came in this tool box, complete with all the accessories. The test target is crazy accurate, and the thing exudes quality and precision. Hopefully they will chime in.

This is the Larue PredatOBR suitcase rifle:

Last edited by GJM; 07-04-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Photo

Wasn't aware. Hopefully SLG or Sean will weigh in.

I was the student referenced by Nick in the M4 thread. Shrek and his AI were teasing me before the first string of fire that my 7.62 PredatAR would not make it through the class. I was really surprised to hear that as I had only heard positive things about Larue guns prior to that. My PredatAR literally choked on the third round in the opening course of fire. It blew a portion of the primer into the BCG and totally locked it down. It took three guys and tools to get the upper separated from the lower and to get the BCG out. My backup gun was a 20" OBR and it showed similar overpressure signs (blown out primers).

I really like the rifles, but unfortunately the overpressure issues make them useless as anything other than range guns.

Any chance you'll open the case for us GJM?

I have a LaRue RangAR rifle that I adore. It got put away in the safe as I could never replace it. It was replaced with a Colt 901 with a Busnell 1-8 SIMR optic and a Aimpoint if I just want the red dot. Great DMR and great price. Super reliable with anything and feeds from PMAGs. My LaRue only gets fed match ammo. I think for just a solid beater urban .308, the 901 is hard to beat. They have been like hens teeth, but the adaptor to take 5.56 uppers (and now Ak mag fed as well) may be a big plus as well.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List