Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: .308 time, suggestions?

SCAR17 is an amazing carbine, accurate, light weight, very intuitive controls once you have the geiselle trigger, ultra reliable and very controllable due to the design.
    For me it boiled down to 3 big factors, the first is the cost to maintain and service it as a hard use work gun with high round counts, that being outrageous, just a field service parts kit retails for $500 so unless your working for uncle sugar it's a very costly weapon to maintain parts wise. The second is the proprietary magazines that are
    basically modified FAL mags, again, far costlier than the newest polymer mags like the lancer L7's and PMAG 25rd and not the sturdiest with the baseplates needing to be
    taped, at this point I still wouldn't trust any of the aftermarket lowers that accept SR25 mags in a work gun, for a range queen sure. The last factor is the ergonomics, the
    SCAR just doesn't have the ergonomic comfort at least for me that an AR10 based platform has and the adjustability to dial it in perfectly, for example I always ran the stock fully collapsed and still would have wanted it shorter while wearing a PC but didn't have the option.
    I've had a relationship with PWS for about a year and a half now and it's the only system I run now across the long gun spectrum, this is the newest version of their MK216 which has forged receivers instead of billet making it as light as the SCAR, as I said mine is tuned to 1/2moa which the SCAR could never match out of the box, it takes all measure of SR25 mags including the 25rd PMAG in the picture, cost no more to maintain than my .556 platform carbines and has a vastly lower parts count than the SCAR.
    I run everything suppressed so adjustable gas is a necessity for me, this system is as easy as it gets to go from suppressed to unsuppressed in seconds.
    PWS's operating system is a different animal to anything else out there and the only AR piston I would ever run, I got my first demo unit about 3 years ago and ran over 20k through it before I decided to go further with them, it's really the only piston system made that doesn't force a tradeoff in some area from direct gas, just benefits.

Take a look on PWS's youtube channel, watch the cutaway video of the system in action, it will explain a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CanineCombatives View Post
    this is the newest version of their MK216 which has forged receivers instead of billet making it as light as the SCAR
    Any idea on the exact weight? Their website still shows the MK216 to be 10 oz. heavier than a SCAR-17S. I'm sold on PWS, as I run a MK110 as my primary, but the weight of the old billet MK216 was a significant downside for me.

I've had a relationship with PWS for about a year and a half now and it's the only system I run now across the long gun spectrum.
    Can you please disclose your relationship in accordance with the forum rules?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Any idea on the exact weight? Their website still shows the MK216 to be 10 oz. heavier than a SCAR-17S. I'm sold on PWS, as I run a MK110 as my primary, but the weight of the old billet MK216 was a significant downside for me.
    I'm pretty sure the 7075 receivers cut 4 or 6oz out of that deficit but the combination of the polymer stock and receivers and pencil barrel on
    the SCAR is going to be really tough to match weight wise, so I should have said NEARLY as light as the SCAR.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    While it's a cool comparo, I wouldn't take that same conclusion you did.

It's a 4 MOA battle rifle, probably firing full power ammunition, handicapped by only loading 1/4 of the rounds possible, with combat sights, being fired by a soldier versus a multi-thousand dollar match rifle, purpose built and setup to be fired in the prone position and most likely weighing twice as much as the G3, probably firing tailored ammunition, by a shooter with all sorts of equipment that weren't available to the soldier.

So.....

no.

A more apt comparison would be a JP Enterprises 308 match rifle vs that thing. Or a Lee-Enfield vs the G3.
    If you must have a more even comparison, bolt action match rifles still account for the overwhelming majority of NRA HP Rifle championships (where bolt action and semi auto shooters are on an even playing field) despite the fact that AR-15 based match rifles have been around for over 20 years and high BC 6 mm cartridges for the AR-16 platform have been around for at least a decade if not longer.

I run everything suppressed so adjustable gas is a necessity for me, this system is as easy as it gets to go from suppressed to unsuppressed in seconds
    Please excuse my ignorance on the subject, but is it possible to cycle subsonic ammo with a suppressor and the right gas setting on your gun?

Sure, just a matter of finding the correct gas setting, but what your essentially talking about
    is the 300blk cartridge in terms of ballistics so you would be much better served by going that route.

User Tag List